Generic buffer pool monitoring API for runtime GKI exception

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
agmi_3321141
Level 4
Level 4
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hi,

I want to use the buffer pool statistics API based on the documentation in "Application Buffer Pools". This function doesn't seem to be generic as it is only defined in the include directory for BCM devices. Is there a way to monitor these pools otherwise? I need to monitor a peculiar GKI exception behavior[ out of buffer] I have observed in run time! I am using WICED 6.1.

0 Likes
1 Solution
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi vmore_3321141​,

You can find wiced_bt_get_buffer_usage() in file /20719-B1_Bluetooth/include/20719/hal/wiced_memory.h. Also, /20719-B1_Bluetooth/include/20719/hal/wiced_transport.h has some of the APIs defined. These are available in WICED 6.1

For which chip you want to use this function? These functions are not available for Combo chips I see.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi vmore_3321141​,

You can find wiced_bt_get_buffer_usage() in file /20719-B1_Bluetooth/include/20719/hal/wiced_memory.h. Also, /20719-B1_Bluetooth/include/20719/hal/wiced_transport.h has some of the APIs defined. These are available in WICED 6.1

For which chip you want to use this function? These functions are not available for Combo chips I see.

Hi, I am looking to use these APIs on the combo chip 43xx, which doesn't seem to be available. Is there any way to monitor the usage on these chips rather than adjusting buffer pool values? How does one recover from a situation when buffer pool usage exceeds allocated values in run-time?

0 Likes

vmore_3321141 wrote:

Hi, I am looking to use these APIs on the combo chip 43xx, which doesn't seem to be available. Is there any way to monitor the usage on these chips rather than adjusting buffer pool values? How does one recover from a situation when buffer pool usage exceeds allocated values in run-time?

AFAICT, the GKI exception has been reported several times on the forum but it still can happen.

The main problem of GKI exception is the device stop working unless reboot,

no good way to workaround the issue even you can monitor the buffer usage.

And the problemtic code may be in the closed souce library (for combo chips),

so there is nothing the user can do if hitting this issue unless there is a new bugfix release available.

And given the fact the library does not provide more useful debug information, it's really very

hard for users to report detail information for cypress.

sheetalj_96

0 Likes

Hi vmore_3321141,

Unfortunately, we do not have such API available for customers as of now.

0 Likes

SheetalJ_96 wrote:

Hi vmore_3321141,

Unfortunately, we do not have such API available for customers as of now.

Then the users do not have the capability to provide debug information because all the GKI exception messages are the same.

You lost the chance to improve or fix bugs in your library.