Fatal toolchain error

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once in a while (not sure what causes it) when I execute the build/download script for my project I get a fatal toolchain error:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Cannot create temporary file in C:\Windows\: Permission denied

The bad thing is that once this happens, the toolchain is broken *forever*.  Even rebooting the machine does not fix the error.  The only solution I have found when this happens is to reinstall the SDK !!

There is plenty of disk space on the computer and I'm fairly certain its an internal corruption of some kind in the SDK, because reinstalling the SDK (and thus recreating the Make Target) fixes the problem without making any other changes.  As you can imagine this is very disruptive to a development.

WICED SDK 3.3.1

Roger

0 Likes
1 Solution

Solved !

Your 43xxx_Wi-Fi\make.exe, makefiles or ARM GCC toolchain are broken because the TMP environment variable is unset when gcc is called, then it tries to create the intermediate temporary assembler file in c:\windows directory (it should not !).

Usually, this access is caught by UAC and redirected to the VirtualStore directory.

But, on some systems (like mine), this redirection doesn't work and gcc got a permission denied.

Quick fix:

Add the following line in 43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\makefiles\wiced_toolchain_common.mk AFTER ifeq ($(HOST_OS),Win32):

export TMP=YOUR_TMP_DIRECTORY

(Obviously, change YOUR_TMP_DIRECTORY)

Now, gcc never tries to write to c:\WINDOWS

View solution in original post

9 Replies