Colour Escape Codes in Build Console

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EdKi_3322321
Level 1
Level 1
First like given Welcome!

Hi WICED,

I have recently upgraded to WICED v6.4.0 on OSX. Now, when I build and there are errors, I get escape codes for colour diagnostics printing in the Eclipse terminal window, e.g.:

Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 10.13.18.png

How can I either remove these or have them Eclipse print the colours as presumably intended? At the moment, it makes understanding errors very difficult.

Faithfully,

Ed King

0 Likes
1 Solution
MaWe_4408391
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

EdKi_3322321​:

I finally got sick of dealing with this myself. I'm running on MacOS and Linux and have a hard time reading the error and warning codes IN THE ECLIPSE CONSOLE, which is absurd.

The fix is to change "-fdiagnostics-color" to "-fno-diagnositics-color" in the .../tools/makefiles/wiced_toolchain_ARM_GNU.mk file (for my project, which is running on ARM with GCC). It's part of two definitions: COMPILER_SPECIFIC_STANDARD_CFLAGS and COMPILER_SPECIFIC_STANDARD_CXXFLAGS.

I had to do a "make project clean" before it would pick up the changes, but that could just have been my environment.

This is not, as MuraliR_36 suggests, an Eclipse issue — it's clearly part of the ARM toolchain, and I hope that Cypress addresses the issue officially. I hate fiddling with as-distributed files outside of the scope of the project I'm working on; it makes for a version control nightmare.

-Mark

View solution in original post

7 Replies