Colour Escape Codes in Build Console

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EdKi_3322321
Level 1
Level 1
First like given Welcome!

Hi WICED,

I have recently upgraded to WICED v6.4.0 on OSX. Now, when I build and there are errors, I get escape codes for colour diagnostics printing in the Eclipse terminal window, e.g.:

Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 10.13.18.png

How can I either remove these or have them Eclipse print the colours as presumably intended? At the moment, it makes understanding errors very difficult.

Faithfully,

Ed King

0 Likes
1 Solution
MaWe_4408391
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

EdKi_3322321​:

I finally got sick of dealing with this myself. I'm running on MacOS and Linux and have a hard time reading the error and warning codes IN THE ECLIPSE CONSOLE, which is absurd.

The fix is to change "-fdiagnostics-color" to "-fno-diagnositics-color" in the .../tools/makefiles/wiced_toolchain_ARM_GNU.mk file (for my project, which is running on ARM with GCC). It's part of two definitions: COMPILER_SPECIFIC_STANDARD_CFLAGS and COMPILER_SPECIFIC_STANDARD_CXXFLAGS.

I had to do a "make project clean" before it would pick up the changes, but that could just have been my environment.

This is not, as MuraliR_36 suggests, an Eclipse issue — it's clearly part of the ARM toolchain, and I hope that Cypress addresses the issue officially. I hate fiddling with as-distributed files outside of the scope of the project I'm working on; it makes for a version control nightmare.

-Mark

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hi Ed King,

Can i know which example you are trying to build and could you let me know if you have made any custom changes?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi MuraliR_36,

I'm generally not building a sample application. Instead, I'm building our application ported to the new SDK.

However, if I build the snip.scan application and create a deliberate compiler warning or error somewhere, the same issue occurs.

I tried installing the Ansi Console package from the Eclipse marketplace, but this just replaces the colour codes and the following text as white text or makes them look even weirder! If I build the same snip on the command line, the colours show as expected without the escape characters. I therefore think this is an issue with the Eclipse distribution used for WICED, what do you think?

Cheers,

Ed

0 Likes

Hi Ed,

I tried reproducing the issue.

I installed WICED 6.4 on a macOS High Sierra and deliberately introduced an error in one of the codes. This is what i'm able to see where the error is highlighted. Are you not able to see the error highlighted in red? If yes, could you please share the screenshots?

mac1.png

Also this the settings that i have on my PC.

mac2.png

Could you check if you have the same settings and let me know if the issue persists?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi MuraliR_36,

I get the same output. The issue, as I see it, is not with the last two lines, but the previous errors leading up to that point. It's the escape characters, e.g.,  [m[K [01;36m[K, which are the problem. If you build the same snip on the command line, you'll see that those escape characters are instead replaced by coloured text, which is what WICED Studio is not doing.

Cheers,

Ed

0 Likes

Hi Ed,

I tried this out with the latest version of eclipse and the colour codes are retained as required and as you said it works with the previous versions of WICED and the command line. So, this seems to be an eclipse specific issue and you may need to reach out to them. In the mean while i will look into this internally and will try to get a fix from our side.

Thanks,

Murali

0 Likes
MaWe_4408391
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

EdKi_3322321​:

I finally got sick of dealing with this myself. I'm running on MacOS and Linux and have a hard time reading the error and warning codes IN THE ECLIPSE CONSOLE, which is absurd.

The fix is to change "-fdiagnostics-color" to "-fno-diagnositics-color" in the .../tools/makefiles/wiced_toolchain_ARM_GNU.mk file (for my project, which is running on ARM with GCC). It's part of two definitions: COMPILER_SPECIFIC_STANDARD_CFLAGS and COMPILER_SPECIFIC_STANDARD_CXXFLAGS.

I had to do a "make project clean" before it would pick up the changes, but that could just have been my environment.

This is not, as MuraliR_36 suggests, an Eclipse issue — it's clearly part of the ARM toolchain, and I hope that Cypress addresses the issue officially. I hate fiddling with as-distributed files outside of the scope of the project I'm working on; it makes for a version control nightmare.

-Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for the help.

We will look into this and try to fix this in the future releases of our software

EdKi_3322321​ I tried out the fix provided by mark and it works. Hope this solves your issue

Thanks

0 Likes