AC mode on 43455 not working if any country code other than United states of America

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YaBh_4672321
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hi,

We are using Cypress 43455 (murrata 1MW) with NXP MCU with Wiced SDK. We are trying to connect wifi module with a wifi router configured in AC only mode but are not able to do so. We are able to scan the router but join attempts to the router always fails. We have observed that if we set the country code as USA on the module side we are able to connect to router.

We have tried to make sure that the country selection on router and module match but we don't see any success. We are able to use all the other modes (N, A, mixed etc) with other country code but not AC.

What could be the solution for this? We want to set the country code as UK and run AC mode. What are we missing here?

Firmware and CLM blob information:

WLAN Firmware: wl0: May  2 2019 02:46:20 version 7.45.189 (r714228 CY) FWID 01-105ab14e

WLAN CLM     : API: 12.2 Data: 9.10.136 Compiler: 1.29.4 ClmImport: 1.36.3 Creation: 2019-05-02 02:31:24

Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
YashM
50 solutions authored First question asked 250 sign-ins

The channels 52-64, 100-144 (also known as DFS channels) are not enabled in the blob. Hence, you are seeing those channels as disabled. 

For your reference, you can use "./wl -i wlan0 chan_info" after setting country xx -> this will list out all the channels enabled for that country.

Also, if you got any more issues to discuss, I would recommend you create a new query, which would help us to track and solve the issue.

Thanks 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
33 Replies
YashM

Hi

Can you send the "wl curpower" output for UK (country code: GB)?

Does the same issue persist with the later (or new) firmware?

Regards

Yash

0 Likes

Hi,

We have not yet ported the MFG utility on our controller as we are not yet in the prescan stage. Is there a way to get this information when running the module in normal mode via some API?

If I am not wrong, we already have the latest firmware, can you please point me to a later version if any?

Regards,

Yash

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

Can you please attach the clm_blob here (the one you are using)?

If possible, let me know which driver release was used.

FYI: Cypress Linux WiFi Driver Release (FMAC) [2020-09-25] this is the latest firmware.

Regards

Yash

0 Likes

Hi

Attaching the CLM blob file we are currently using (API: 12.2 Data: 9.10.136 Compiler: 1.29.4 ClmImport: 1.36.3 Creation: 2019-05-02 02:31:24).

The firmware we are using is version 7.45.189 (r714228 CY) FWID 01-105ab14e (as printed on console during wifi initialization).

Regards

0 Likes
YashM

Please attach the 43455.clm_blob file and not .h file

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi

please find the requested file attached.

0 Likes
YashM

Thanks but you need to attach .clm_blob file as well (that would be in the same folder with .bin file)

0 Likes

Hi,

This is the .clm_blob file, I have just renamed it. Sorry for the confusion.

0 Likes
YashM

Thanks

Also, please attach the .bin file as well.

Regards

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

Welcome to the new community. 

I went through the clm_blob which you provided, it seems the 11ac channels are enabled. 

Can you please let me know how are you testing the 11ac?

Regards

0 Likes

Hi,

To reproduce the issue perform the following steps:
1. Configure WiFi router in "AC only" mode. With region set to UK and channel selection auto.
2. Compile the device side code (in our case NXP K64F controller EVM + 1MW module) with default country code set as "UK". We do this by passing the argument "WICED_COUNTRY_UNITED_KINGDOM" to "wwd_management_wifi_on" function during WiFi stack initialization.
3. Try to join the network created in step 1. Device fails to join the network.
4. To verify that the WiFi router is functional perform step 2 with country code for "US". With this the device successfully connects to the said router.

I did attach the BIN file as you had requested but it seems that we lost it in migration. I am attaching it here again to help you reproduce the issue.

Regards

0 Likes

Hi,

1. Configure WiFi router in "AC only" mode. With region set to UK and channel selection auto.
2. Compile the device side code (in our case NXP K64F controller EVM + 1MW module) with default country code set as "UK". We do this by passing the argument "WICED_COUNTRY_UNITED_KINGDOM" to "wwd_management_wifi_on" function during WiFi stack initialization.
4. To verify that the WiFi router is functional perform step 2 with country code for "US". With this the device successfully connects to the said router.

I did try to attach the BIN file as zip as you had requested but it seems that we lost it in migration. I tried it again on this new forum but none of my messages are getting posted. I am not attaching the file in this message will post it separately.

Regards

0 Likes
YashM

Hi 

I have been trying to post to the forum for quite a few days but have not been successful in doing it. So, I am replying you here regarding your question.

1. Configure WiFi router in AC only mode. With region set to UK and channel selection auto.
2. Compile the device side code (in our case NXP K64F controller evm + 1MW module) with default country code set as "UK". We do this by passing the argument "WICED_COUNTRY_UNITED_KINGDOM" to "wwd_management_wifi_on" function during wifi initialization.
4. To verify that the WiFi router is function perfrom step 2 with country code for US. With this the device successfully connects to the said router.

I tried with the new firmware and CLM blob file you have provided but am unable to successfully execute join api call of Wiced studio. The api throws "unable to set ba win" error. Are there changes needed in the WICED sdk to run the latest firmware and CLM ?

I am unable to attach the BIN file we are using here so will post it on the forum thread as soon as I am allowed to.

Regards

Hi

Sorry to hear that you are facing a problem to post the reply in the community. I have reported the issue and you will soon be able to post it and if you still face the issue you can use a private message.  

I have quoted your message (issue) so others can also view it. The old firmware (which you were using) had 80Mhz channels disabled for UK but the new firmware has those channels. Can you use the new firmware and instead of auto channel selection can you use channel 36 for UK and US and see whether it connects or not?

Also, please provide the clm information as well (for new firmware).

Thanks and Regards

0 Likes

Hi,

Attaching the new CLM blob and firmware that we are using (downloaded from the link you have provided).

We are unable to use the new firmware and CLM blob (error: "unable to set ba win" when calling join api of wiced sdk). Do we need to make any more changes in the WICED sdk to make it work with the new firmware are clm?

Regards

0 Likes
YashM

Hello

Sorry for the late reply.

Can you please perform test.console application using the new clm blob with WL command enabled. Please perform the "wl clmver" and "wl channel list" and update me with the same.

If the above test is not possible then please provide the clm information which you see during the bootup process in the serial terminal.

The new clm does have 80MHz channels enabled which was not the case with the old clm. Hence, 11ac can be used with country code GB. Have you performed the same testing with the US using new clm? If yes, do you see the same issue as with UK (unable to set ba win)? I don't see any changes that need to be done in WICED.

Regards

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

To test the new CLM blob file do I need to use the new firmware? The old CLM blob file was ~14KB but the new one is just ~4KB, is this expected or am I looking at wrong CLM blob file?

The "unable to set ba win" issue with the new Firmware and CLM blob pair is persistent irrespective of the country code or even the mode of operation (AC or otherwise). This error is thrown if I call the Join API of the WICED SDK. Can you please help me resolve this issue so that I can test the new Firmware and CLM blob.

Regards

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

Yes, you have to use the new firmware which is ~4.7KB long. 

Also, can you share the error code of the failing WWD function as well as wire shark logs during the join process? I assume you are using AP as an 11ac router (if others, please specify).

Regards

0 Likes

Hi,

Attaching the Firmware and CLM information printed on the console log for your reference (this is for the latest firmware).

WLAN Firmware : wl0: Sep 18 2020 02:27:58 version 7.45.221 (3a6d3a0 CY) FWID 01-bbd9282b

WLAN CLM : API: 12.2 Data: Cypress.CYW43455 Compiler: 1.29.4 ClmImport: 1.36.3 Customization: v1200520 Creation: 2020-09-18 02:14:12

As the host device to which cypress 43455 is connected to is a controller not a Linux host, getting wireshark logs wont be possible. Also, the "failed to set ba win" error producing API is one of the backplane functions and this has nothing to do with WiFi joining. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

The error code of the WWD function "wwd_wifi_set_block_ack_window_size()" is "WWD_TIMEOUT".

We are using a WiFi router configured in 11AC mode.

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

Thanks for the information.

Are you facing the following issue with all the other APs/routers or just with 1 specific router?

If you haven't checked then if possible please check it and let me know.

Thanks and Regards

0 Likes

We have tested it with multiple routers. And see the same issue.

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

Sorry this is taking time but I need more information to understand the cause of the problem.

Are you directly calling the wwd_wifi_join(*args*) function or you are using the wiced_result_t wiced_network_up(*args*) function in your project or any other function (please specify)?

Regards

0 Likes

Hi,

It is observed that with the old firmware and new clm blob file we are able to connect the AC only mode with UK country code. Can you please share what is the difference between the new and old clm blobs?

We are quite concerned because the new clm blob is almost 1/3 the size of old one (4KB vs 14KB), so we are curious to know what caused this change is size and if there can be any side effects for the same esp because we are using old firmware with the new clm.

Firmware version: May 2 2019 02:46:20 version 7.45.189 (r714228 CY) FWID 01-105ab14e

CLM version: API: 12.2 Data: Cypress.CYW43455 Compiler: 1.29.4 ClmImport: 1.36.3 Customization: v1 200520 Creation: 2020-09-18 02:14:12

Regards,

Yash

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

Can I assume that using the old firmware with new clm_blob you are now able to connect with the AP in AC mode for UK i.e. your problem got resolved?

You can certainly use the old firmware + new clm blob, it would work well but the old firmware would not have KR00K fix. The difference between the new clm blob and the old clm blob is, the new clm blob contains additional channels (like 80Mhz for UK). Don't worry about the size.

Can you update me on whether your problem solves with new firmware + new clm_blob or not? 

Regards 

0 Likes

Hi,

We are able to get the AC mode for UK country code working for :

- Old Firmware and new CLM blob

BUT, with the new firmware and new CLM blob we are not able to get the wifi module to join any network not just AC mode network. We are still looking into it. Do you have any pointers? Can you confirm if no changes in the WICED SDK are needed with the new firmware ?

What is the KR00K issue? Can you throw more light into it?

Regards,

Yash

0 Likes

Also would it be possible for you to provide the exact delta between the two CLM blobs?

Or is there a way to convert the BLOB binary information into human readable form so that we can understand the difference between the two ourselves?

Regards,

Yash

0 Likes
YashM

Hi

Krook fixes are just few improvement in security vulnerabilities.

Which WICED version do you use?

Can you please (with new firmware + new blob) run the WICED into debug mode and let me know where exactly the join process fails (function calls or wwd - WICED error, etc.)?  

No, there is no such tool to read the BLOB information except for "WL tool/utility".

Regards

0 Likes

Hi,

I will provide with the requested information.

Can you please confirm that the latest CLM blob has all the channels enabled for 5GHz network? It has been observed that we are not able to connect or even scan certain channels on the 5GHz band irrespective of the mode (N, A, AC) eg Channel no 100.

Regards,

Yash

0 Likes
YashM

Hi 

Yes, the latest CLM blob has few channels disabled. Those channels are DFS ones (including ch 100) and hence I would suggest you use channels 36-48 or 149-165 for 5Ghz. 

Regards

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Is there a way to enable all channels or more channels for 5GHz for 43455 module?

With the "new firmware" + "new clm" combination, we are using the following wiced APIs:

1. wiced_wlan_connectivity_init() to init the stack and wifi module

2. wwd_wifi_join() to join a network.

The wwd_wifi_join() fails to join to any network. The return code is  "WWD_SET_BLOCK_ACK_WINDOW_FAIL". The function call with in wwd_wifi_join() that fails is wwd_wifi_set_block_ack_window_size() with return code WWD_TIMEOUT.

The error logged is "failed to set ba win".

Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,

yash

0 Likes

Hi,

Since the channels available in each country are different, can channels be opened according to the country? The support list of each country can refer to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels ,

and sorry for my poor english

Regards

0 Likes
YashM

Hi @Ennawyang 

The Cy devices support channels 1-13 for 2.4G and 36-48, 52-64, 100-140, 144, 149-161, 165 for 5G.

Out of which few of the channels are restricted depending upon the regulatory rules of that particular country.

Can you please explain "can channels be opened according to the country"?

Thanks 

0 Likes

Hi,

I am using raspberrypi 4b (with bcm43455) in China,Channel 36-48,52-64,149-165 can be used.

But it looks like channels 52-64 are not available with new drive.

The wireless network country in the system has been set to CN with raspi-config.

I followed the link below to set up, but didn’t work,https://community.cypress.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/RasPi4-WiFi-problem-with-KR-country-code/...

Set to US is the same.

In addition, this problem also exists in openwrt (18.06 , 21.02)

Logs here: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/y6DbMmWHwn/

Thanks

0 Likes
YashM

The channels 52-64, 100-144 (also known as DFS channels) are not enabled in the blob. Hence, you are seeing those channels as disabled. 

For your reference, you can use "./wl -i wlan0 chan_info" after setting country xx -> this will list out all the channels enabled for that country.

Also, if you got any more issues to discuss, I would recommend you create a new query, which would help us to track and solve the issue.

Thanks 

0 Likes