3.7.0 BLE: Simultaneous Central / Peripheral?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to operate as a BLE Central and Peripheral simultaneously?

Whenever my design is in an active ADV state, or if the design has an active connection as a Peripheral (GATT Server), I am not able to connect to anything as a Central.  I can initiate scanning and attempt a connection by calling wiced_bt_gatt_le_connect() but the connection never completes - I never get a GATT callback, ie, this callback never happens:

gatt_status = wiced_bt_gatt_register( sensortag_cloud_gatts_callback );

This used to work on previous SDK releases.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing this query

The use case works on AVNET kit (BCM94343W_AVN )board

As a summary to enable both BLE peripheral/Central on WICED SDK perform the following steps

Sequence for simultaneous BLE Central/Peripheral 

1. 1> Init the BT stack with a management callback

/* Register call back and configuration with stack */

wiced_bt_stack_init( hello_sensor_management_callback ,&wiced_bt_cfg_settings, wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pools );

1. 2> In the management callback on receiving BTM_ENABLED, I register for GATT  and then start adv , and then start scan

static wiced_result_t hello_sensor_management_callback( wiced_bt_management_evt_t event, wiced_bt_management_evt_data_t *p_event_data )

{

WPRINT_BT_APP_INFO(("hello_sensor_management_callback: %x\n", event ));

switch( event )

{

/* Bluetooth  stack enabled */

case BTM_ENABLED_EVT:

// Register for GATT callback

// Start ADV

Regards

Prejith

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JeGu_2199941
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

andrew997

Look at  libraries/daemons/bt_internet_gateway/internal/big_stack_interface.c for "big_init_gatt_server_interface" & "big_add_gatt_client_interface"

The former establish an unique static structure "gatt_server_interface" which should work for the peripheral you desired.

And the latter is for central role connections.

You can find how BTM / GATT events are dispatched to according interface/connection in "big_stack_callback" & "big_gatt_callback"

They may not work perfectly for your purpose out of box.

And I don't see any sample code that runs peripheral & central at the same time.

It is very likely that some tweaks are needed.

Maybe Cypress team can make some comments about this?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi andrew997

Can you share your app , so that we can review it , I am suspecting that you have registered the callback twice ?

Kindly check the below order

1> Init the stack once

2> Register the GATT callback only once [for server and client only one registration is required ]

3> initialize your gatt db and start adv

4> if you wish to scan use wiced_bt_ble_scan and pass a callback function

5> if a remote LE client connects to you , you will receive GATT_CONNECTION_STATUS_EVT , and to know if this connection was for client or server , you can use the parameter wiced_bt_gatt_connection_status_t.link_role :  if Link role is 0 then you are slave meaning its a peripheral , and if link role is 1 then you are client

Regards

Prejith

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi prejithp

I'm following all of those guidelines.  I'll post my app shortly for review.

Andrew

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi andrew997

Can you increase the buffer pool for HCI and try it out , it worked for me ,  Since connection are  dependent on HCI pool I increased pool number 2

const wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pool_t wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pools[WICED_BT_CFG_NUM_BUF_POOLS] =

{

/*  { buf_size, buf_count } */

//{ 64,       4   },      /* Small Buffer Pool */

{ 64,       32   },      /* Small Buffer Pool */

//    { 360,      4   },      /* Medium Buffer Pool (used for HCI & RFCOMM control messages, min recommended size is 360) */

{ 360,      8   },      /* Medium Buffer Pool (used for HCI & RFCOMM control messages, min recommended size is 360) */

{ 360,      4  },      /* Large Buffer Pool  (used for HCI ACL messages) */

{ 360,      0   },      /* Extra Large Buffer Pool - Used for avdt media packets and miscellaneous (if not needed, set buf_count to 0) */

};

Regards

Prejith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Prejith,

This still doesn't seem to do it for me.  I tried increasing the buffer pools as such:

const wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pool_t wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pools[WICED_BT_CFG_NUM_BUF_POOLS] =

{

/*  { buf_size, buf_count } */

//{ 64,       4   },      /* Small Buffer Pool */

{ 64,       32   },      /* Small Buffer Pool */

//   { 360,      4   },      /* Medium Buffer Pool (used for HCI & RFCOMM control messages, min recommended size is 360) */

{ 360,      16   },      /* Medium Buffer Pool (used for HCI & RFCOMM control messages, min recommended size is 360) */

{ 360,      4  },      /* Large Buffer Pool  (used for HCI ACL messages) */

{ 360,      0   },      /* Extra Large Buffer Pool - Used for avdt media packets and miscellaneous (if not needed, set buf_count to 0) */

};

Is there an API that can keep track of available and/or when a buffer pool is requested?

Thanks!

Andrew

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Andrew

Its strange , can you tell me the exact version of the SDK you are using ? , are you using 3.7.0 ?

I shall take a look at this tomorrow and let you know

Can you enable the GLOBAL_DEFINES     += ENABLE_BT_PROTOCOL_TRACES in your make file and send me the logs

Below was the behavior in my environment

1> device boots up and connects to MQTT  and starts a BLE adv WICED Sense Kit

2>  On Light blue i have created a virutal peripheral with a name CC2650

3> I press the user button on the avnet kit , adv stops and scan starts , on finding the device CC2650 , connection is issued

4> I also tried with peripheral connection , intiating a scan even then went through

Try to give me your logs with PROTOCOL_TRACES enabled , so that i can root cause the exact issue

Regards
Prejith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Prejith,

I'll try your suggestion but really quickly, I made some changes in my app to prevent it from advertising and scanning at the same time, at least until I can find a workaround for this.  In the meantime, if you go to line ~408 and add the following, it will start scanning at the same time it's advertising:

// Test - start a scan

wiced_gpio_output_high( WICED_LED1 );

wiced_bt_ble_scan( BTM_BLE_SCAN_TYPE_HIGH_DUTY, WICED_TRUE, sensortag_cloud_result_cback );

In this situation, what will happen is if it finds a Sensortag, it won't be able to successfully connect.  That's why I put the other code in to make it stop advertising when you push the button.

Regards,

Andrew

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I added:

GLOBAL_DEFINES   += ENABLE_BT_PROTOCOL_TRACES

..to the .mk file but this didn't generate any additional output to the console.  Is there something else I need to enable?

When my app is programmed to stop advertising right before it starts scanning, here's the console output I get:

[MQTT] Opening connection...Client ID...d:quickstart:iotqs-sensor:6CADF8F0EDB6

Starting Advertising for Wi-Fi Config GATT service.

---->>> New ADV state: 3

---->>> New ADV state: 0

---->>> New Scan state: 1

Found BD_ADDR: B0B448CFAE04, CC2650 SensorTag, length 16

Found Sensor, Connection = 0, Type = 1, initiating connection

---->>> New Scan state: 0

Key retrieval failure

Key retrieval failure

wiced_bt_gatt_connect status 1

sensortag_cloud_gatts_connection_status_handler: connection UP! conn_id: 2, active_connections=1,link_role 0

write_rsp status:0x0

iot-2/evt/SensorTag_CF:AE:04/fmt/json, {"d":{"Accel_X":0.00,"Accel_Y":0.00,"Accel_Z":0.00}}

iot-2/evt/SensorTag_CF:AE:04/fmt/json, {"d":{"Accel_X":3.99,"Accel_Y":3.86,"Accel_Z":0.22}}

iot-2/evt/SensorTag_CF:AE:04/fmt/json, {"d":{"Accel_X":3.99,"Accel_Y":3.87,"Accel_Z":0.19}}

..... and so on and so on

When I enable scanning at the same time I'm advertising, here's what happens when the app attempts to connect to the SensorTag peripheral that was scanning:

[MQTT] Opening connection...Client ID...d:quickstart:iotqs-sensor:6CADF8F0EDB6

Starting Advertising for Wi-Fi Config GATT service.

---->>> New ADV state: 3

---->>> New Scan state: 1

Found BD_ADDR: B0B448D02203, CC2650 SensorTag, length 16

Found Sensor, Connection = 0, Type = 1, initiating connection

Key retrieval failure

Key retrieval failure

wiced_bt_gatt_connect status 1

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing this query

The use case works on AVNET kit (BCM94343W_AVN )board

As a summary to enable both BLE peripheral/Central on WICED SDK perform the following steps

Sequence for simultaneous BLE Central/Peripheral 

1. 1> Init the BT stack with a management callback

/* Register call back and configuration with stack */

wiced_bt_stack_init( hello_sensor_management_callback ,&wiced_bt_cfg_settings, wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pools );

1. 2> In the management callback on receiving BTM_ENABLED, I register for GATT  and then start adv , and then start scan

static wiced_result_t hello_sensor_management_callback( wiced_bt_management_evt_t event, wiced_bt_management_evt_data_t *p_event_data )

{

WPRINT_BT_APP_INFO(("hello_sensor_management_callback: %x\n", event ));

switch( event )

{

/* Bluetooth  stack enabled */

case BTM_ENABLED_EVT:

// Register for GATT callback

// Start ADV

Regards

Prejith

Thanks for sharing this with the group prejithp

Adding the Avnet team as well since this is useful information for them as well: peter_fennandrew997

0 Likes