question regarding basic cocept

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
bemale
Level 3
Level 3
100 sign-ins 50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins

Hello,

I've been worked long time in field of mobile platform and have a plentiful career about low level system driver on mobile BB SW with commercial RTOS such as Nucleus and ThreadX.

Nowadays, I got a chance to get a job to develop BLE module using Cypress chip.

So, I'm gathering useful information for this stuff from your site and bought your CYW920706WCDEVAL board already.

However, I have a question about basic concept of development using WICED studio.

Basically, FW/driver engineer code and debug in full source level with OS API under RTOS environment. we compile and link it using ARMCC/ARMLNK to get bin file.

What's the difference between upper case and WICED studio environment?

what kinds of RTOS delivered from WICED studio environment? I couldn't find any information about RTOS used in your environment. otherwise, do I need to port any RTOS I have on your SDK env.? 

It's a very simple question for you, but I've been confused about this basic concept. think my brain was harden due to long time career in one platform.

Please give me your basic concept regarding dev. environment with your studio/SDK.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi @bemale ,

The CYW20706 Bluetooth device is a ROM based BT Host + Controller. The whole BT stack resides in ROM along with the start up functions & RTOS. At boot, the chip is initialized along with the RTOS & the Threads needed for BT operation are also setup. You can use the RTOS API's provided in the SDK to implement your end application.
Since a major part of the code is in ROM and are static libraries, you will not be able to Step in to many of the Bluetooth functions while Debugging.
Also since you are just starting up your design, I would strongly recommend moving to the newer Modus Toolbox tool, which uses a BTSDK similar to WICED. But has more updates and has some graphical configurators to help speed up development.

Below documentation will be helpful for you:

CYW20706 product guide

ModusToolbox SDK 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SheetalJ

Hi @bemale ,

The CYW20706 Bluetooth device is a ROM based BT Host + Controller. The whole BT stack resides in ROM along with the start up functions & RTOS. At boot, the chip is initialized along with the RTOS & the Threads needed for BT operation are also setup. You can use the RTOS API's provided in the SDK to implement your end application.
Since a major part of the code is in ROM and are static libraries, you will not be able to Step in to many of the Bluetooth functions while Debugging.
Also since you are just starting up your design, I would strongly recommend moving to the newer Modus Toolbox tool, which uses a BTSDK similar to WICED. But has more updates and has some graphical configurators to help speed up development.

Below documentation will be helpful for you:

CYW20706 product guide

ModusToolbox SDK 

bemale
Level 3
Level 3
100 sign-ins 50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins

thanks SheetalJ for your quick reply. May I ask one more question?

So, it means that RTOS is not opened in source level and I need to use OS resource using API only as you mentioned. right? then please let me know the exact RTOS name supplied in this SDK? is it WICED RTOS?

thanks a lot for your quick support in advance~

0 Likes
SheetalJ

Its the ThreadX RTOS for embedded WICED Bluetooth devices. 

FYI: https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/CypressAcademy_BT101_Files/blob/master/PDFs/WBT101-03-RTOS...

Hi SheetalJ,

I couldn't find RTOS section in API reference for 20706 as below.

Do you know the reason why it's not exposed in 20706?

• Note: The 20706 does not expose RTOS APIs.
    • Some limited functionality (e.g. Timer services) may be found under Components.
0 Likes
SheetalJ

As the FW resides in ROM for CYW20706 chips, RTOS operation is taken care by stack internally. User cannot control the same. 

Hmm.. It's important information.

Then, I assumed that I couldn't use RTOS API to create/start a thread for my purpose. is it right? means that 20706 doesn't support multi threading with OS API fundamentally?

thanks

0 Likes
SheetalJ

No you cant create/start thread on your own.