WICED BR/EDR/LE host stack with external BLE HCI chip

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
xixuc_3349876
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the following setup

CYW43907

------------------- (CYW43907)

WICED BR/EDR/LE host stack

HCI over UART

-------------------

.   UART

------------------- (BLE HCI chip)

HCI over UART

BLE Controller

-------------------

Question:

1. My understanding is the WICED BR/EDR/LE host stack must be configured BLE-only host stack to be compatible with BLE HCI chip. How to configure WICED host stack to be BLE-only stack?

2. HCI UART driver is already available in WICED?

3. Do you have any integration guide document?

Best regards,

Xiaodong Xu

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the CYW943907WAE3 and CYW943907WAE4 platforms will meet your requirements. This platform contains 43907 as the host processor and CYW20707 as the Bluetooth controller. The BT host stack runs on 43907 in this platform. However, this is not a broad market platform, so kindly contact sales for more information.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hi :

What is your user case for your question?  43907+ BLE bluetooth chip by uart ?  and 43907 is a Soc chip with wifi function.

0 Likes

Hi,

The usecase is to make a BLE+Wifi platform, 43907 + BLE HCI chip by UART. BLE host stack runs on 43907, over HCI UART communicate  with BLE Controller runs on BLE chip. The BLE chip is a third party chip with standard hci interface, only hci-uart is suppported.

My questions:

1. Can WICED BR/EDR/LE host stack be used on 43907? I checked your WICED IDE, seems your project is connected to the CYW platform, if I choose 43907, I don't get BT stack in the project. When I choose CYW20719, I got BT stack in the project.

2. Does WICED BR/EDR/LE host stack support this setup - BT host stack - HCI UART - third party BLE HCI chip? Or it only support CYW BT chip?

3. Can WICED BR/EDR/LE host stack being configured to BLE-only host stack? How to do it?

4. Does WICED BR/EDR/LE host stack support BLE 5.0 long range (LE coded phy) and BLE 5.0 2M phy? The third party BLE HCI chip support these two features.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the CYW943907WAE3 and CYW943907WAE4 platforms will meet your requirements. This platform contains 43907 as the host processor and CYW20707 as the Bluetooth controller. The BT host stack runs on 43907 in this platform. However, this is not a broad market platform, so kindly contact sales for more information.

0 Likes

Do you mean WICED BT host stack runs on CYW43907 does not work directly with third party HCI BLE chip?  More customization work is needed?

0 Likes

Hi Xiaodong:

When I choose CYW20719, I got BT stack in the project.  you got the exact description .

If you use other BLE HCI Chip , the chip owner should provide related stack for your debug,  43907 is act as a common MCU chip .

43907 can provide UART driver support,   You need to tune the HCI commands with much workload ,  Or you choose another CYW943907WAE3 and CYW943907WAE4 platform which includes our BT chip already.

mringwal
Level 4
Level 4
Associated Partner - BlueKitchen GmbH
5 sign-ins 10 questions asked 10 replies posted

Hi Xiaodong

What external BLE Controller do you plan to use? I'm only aware of the EM930x and the DA1458x that officially provide an HCI interface.

You may use (out) BlueKitchen Bluetooth Stack (https://btstack.org) within the WICED framework together with built-in Bluetooth Controller or an external one. Our stack is not thread-safe (to make it simpler, robust), but it runs well on a dedicated thread and use queues or similar from the WICED framework to communicate with other threads. It's not free for commercial use, so you would need a license from us, too.

Best

Matthias, BlueKitchen GmbH