Regarding CYBT-413034-EVAL board

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AmHa_650526
Level 2
Level 2
First query:-
  1. I am using CYBT-413034-EVAL evaluation board. I have programmed with hello_client application present in
20719-B1_Bluetooth/apps/demo. When I reconnected the board to the PC after programming, initially some unknown (junk) characters are
visible on PUART (Peripheral UART).  I do not want these characters to appear, please help. 
2. Same thing has happened when I loaded with 20719-B1_Bluetooth/apps/demo/hello_sensor application. 

I have WICED-Studio-6.2.1.2-IDE installed. 

Second query:- 

I have one doubt. When I program hello_client or hello_sensor or any other application to say, I see unknown characters
on HCI UART. I know that HCI UART is used for programming. Just wanted to know what these characters are meant for.

Thanks in advance for the reply.
0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Sorry for late reply, as I was busy with other technical works.

For my query 1

1. Yes, I have checked once again yesterday on another PC and the puart log was coming correctly as per the program. Also I checked on the same PC today morning, where I was getting junk characters earlier (only for alphabets and not for numbers) on the PUART, and I found it is coming correctly.

2. In the above snap shot, as attached by the user StN._1917156, I too have faced sometimes junk coming for alphabets and not for numbers in the PUART port. I have observed that if I enable logging on tera term, the log shows correctly, even if on display it shows junk characters (for alphabets and not for numbers) for the display.

3. Another app docklight always shows correctly. Junk characters for alphabets never come on that. But only problem with docklight I faced is that never connects automatically when board is removed and plugged in on the PC USB port. Manually we have to press connect in the docklight. Whereas Tera Term automatically reconnects after we removed the board from the USB port and plug-in.

4. For your sake, I am attaching the hello_client and hello_sensor logs which I took today and they are fine.

Regards,

Ameet

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi Ameet,

Have you modified example code? Could you please send the logs / Screen shots?

Can you please check the PUART logs in any other PC?

Hope you are using correct baud rate.

Thanks,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi Ameet,

Any updates?

Have you modified example code? Could you please send the logs / Screen shots?

Can you please check the PUART logs in any other PC?

Hope you are using correct baud rate.

Regards,
Anjana

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Sorry for late reply, as I was busy with other technical works.

For my query 1

1. Yes, I have checked once again yesterday on another PC and the puart log was coming correctly as per the program. Also I checked on the same PC today morning, where I was getting junk characters earlier (only for alphabets and not for numbers) on the PUART, and I found it is coming correctly.

2. In the above snap shot, as attached by the user StN._1917156, I too have faced sometimes junk coming for alphabets and not for numbers in the PUART port. I have observed that if I enable logging on tera term, the log shows correctly, even if on display it shows junk characters (for alphabets and not for numbers) for the display.

3. Another app docklight always shows correctly. Junk characters for alphabets never come on that. But only problem with docklight I faced is that never connects automatically when board is removed and plugged in on the PC USB port. Manually we have to press connect in the docklight. Whereas Tera Term automatically reconnects after we removed the board from the USB port and plug-in.

4. For your sake, I am attaching the hello_client and hello_sensor logs which I took today and they are fine.

Regards,

Ameet

0 Likes

For my above reply in point number 3, I want to add that I am using evaluation version of docklight.

Regards,

Ameet

0 Likes
StN__1917156
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

#1 usually happens when your terminal program baudrate is not set to whatever is set the CYW chip/board. Also keep in mind that HCI and PUART have different default settings for the baudrate, and also in some of the Cypress manuals/applications notes there are misleading/wrong data regarding the baudrate for HCI - best check (if you don't override default settings) what is set in the platform configuration files for CYBT-413034-EVAL board.

Also there are 2 different modes to export data/traces through HCI. If you set it as WICED_ROUTE_DEBUG_TO_WICED_UART  it will be normal to see and some other symbols that look like junk, because this output is meant for use with BT Spy, not for regular terminal output.

If you set  output WICED_ROUTE_DEBUG_TO_HCI_UART  (or didnt set anything, because this is the default mode) and if you configured serial port parameters correct it suppose you can see normal output on any terminal program.

BTW I also didn't succeed to use HCI port, but the junk in my case didn't start at the beginning Didn't research it in more details, because still have more important issues to solve ...Cypress team seems also doesn't bother to fix such issues neither

Trace2HCI_1.png

0 Likes