OTA file upgrade in the CYBT-343026 module (CYW20706) by WICED 6.4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
NiA_4003596
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi,

Could anyone please suggest how to upgrade the CYBT-343026 module with an OTA file. Also, I just want to know any OTA code to be added to the main application code (say ON/OFF server) by WICED 6.4 because OTA failed for CYBT-343026 module in both Android and IOS mobile. Attached snapshot for your reference.

FYI, I am using the latest version of WICED 6.4 and with the same version OTA upgrade successful for the CYBT-483039 module.

Regards,

NK

REa343026

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach

Hi,

Since you have mention "WICED 6.4", I doubt you are using incompatible Android app (Might be from Modustoolbox) with Light_lightness_server of  WICED6.4. Could you please confirm it? You have to take both embedded app and peer app (android/ios/windows apps) from the same release, as there will be changes and bug fixes in the software for every releases.

I would suggest you to use Modustoolbox to try your experiment since it support 343026. And you get latest bug fixes and feature.

Otherwise (for WICED6.4), please ensure that you have used C_FLAGS += -DWICED_OTA_VERSION_2 flag in the makefile.mk of the application in WICED, and the Android app taken from the same WICED version.

You may need a metadata file as well to do OTA upgrade if the android app is taken from WICED6.4, which is as attached below.

Could you please attach the failure logs with timestamp, screenshots, etc. as well if you are still facing the issue.

Please note, "OTA_FW_UPGRADE?=1" which I mentioned in my previous response is for Modustoolbox makefile.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

May I know which application is already present on the CYBT-343026 module?

There should be a firmware which support OTA. (OTA_FW_UPGRADE?=1).

May I know the procedure you follow for OTA upgrade?

Are you doing the the OTA upgrade when the node is in provisioned state? Please let me know the details.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

Hi,

Light lightness server application code is present on the CYBT-343026 module and tried to OTA upgrade the same application code with the "ota.bin" file under the build folder. In mobile app, I have selected Device OTA at the individual node device home page, select Firmware File to upload ota.bin file and finally Start OTA button.

Yes, I was doing OTA upgrade when the node is in provisioned state. Failed OTA upgrade in Evaluation board as well.

The same procedure I followed for the CYBT-483039 module, OTA upgrade was successful.

Regards,

NK

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi,

Since you have mention "WICED 6.4", I doubt you are using incompatible Android app (Might be from Modustoolbox) with Light_lightness_server of  WICED6.4. Could you please confirm it? You have to take both embedded app and peer app (android/ios/windows apps) from the same release, as there will be changes and bug fixes in the software for every releases.

I would suggest you to use Modustoolbox to try your experiment since it support 343026. And you get latest bug fixes and feature.

Otherwise (for WICED6.4), please ensure that you have used C_FLAGS += -DWICED_OTA_VERSION_2 flag in the makefile.mk of the application in WICED, and the Android app taken from the same WICED version.

You may need a metadata file as well to do OTA upgrade if the android app is taken from WICED6.4, which is as attached below.

Could you please attach the failure logs with timestamp, screenshots, etc. as well if you are still facing the issue.

Please note, "OTA_FW_UPGRADE?=1" which I mentioned in my previous response is for Modustoolbox makefile.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi,

I have taken both embedded app and peer app (android/ios/windows apps) from the same release and used C_FLAGS += -DWICED_OTA_VERSION_2 flag in the makefile.mk of the application in WICED 6.4 but the OTA upgrade is failed with a message "OTA service is not found".

pastedImage_0.png

FYI, OTA upgrade is successful with Modustoolbox with same release of embedded app and peer app. But failed to upgrade WICED 6.4 embedded app with peer app of Modustoolbox.

Since every revision has new feature or bug fixes, why don't you keep recent version compatible to all old version or at least upgrade with OTA file. Because it is difficult to use same release all the time. Let me tell my case, I have installed 200 nos of node with WICED 6.2 application code and want to upgrade to application code of  WICED 6.4 or Modustoolbox without touching the node but could not do it. And taking recent mobile application from google play shows incompatible with WICED 6.2 node.

Regards,

NK

0 Likes

Hi,

"OTA service is not found" message indicates that the current firmware present on the device does not have OTA capability. You will have to flash a suitable firmware which has OTA capability on the board through UART, then provision and try the OTA upgrade. Please recheck the steps that you have followed.

There can be considerable framework changes between WICED SDK and Modustoolbox BTSDK. So mixing these SDKs are not a recommended practice.

You can always use the OTA upgrade feature to upgrade the embedded app of your device to the latest.

(If we look from a customer perspective, the end user would buy a Light Bulb (mostly it won't have a wired interface for firmware upgrade) from the market with some basic functionality. They can plug it to power, provision it to the mobile app and start using it (On/Off/Level). When they get a new software release with bug fixes or security patches for the bulb, they can upgrade the bulb firmware using the same/new mobile app. The conditions are the initial bulb firmware should have support for OTA, and, the latest provisioner Database should be available with the User (provisioner)).

When the user re-install a new mesh mobile app, the user will have to export the database from the old app, save it somewhere (it could be a cloud as well) and import it into the new one.  "In-app update" like support will help the user to apply the updates without uninstalling the app.

The android app that you can get from the google playstore will be the app associated with the latest SDK. Now it could be taken from the Modustoolbox compatible BTSDK2.6/v2.7.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you!

I have used the latest release of WICED 6.4 but it did not support OTA upgrade for the CYBT-343026 module. Anyway, as per your suggestion I shift to Modustoolbox where OTA upgrade is working.

Regards,

NK