How to download FW to module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YaTr_3516311
Level 5
Level 5
25 sign-ins First solution authored 100 replies posted

Hi,

I want to download FW to cybt-343026-01 module. But always have below fail. I have tried with EVAL(EVAL has two port shown in PC and I select the HCI port), it is OK.

Module connect usb to PC only one port, so I just modify the COM port number.

********* Download Failure *************

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Follow below suggestions and retry.

|

|   1. Verify USB-UART driver is correctly installed

|

|   2. Verify SW4 switches are in ON position (CTS, RTS, RXD, TXD)

|

|   3. Power cycle CYBT-343026-EVAL and retry.                                          |

|

|

| If this problem persists, the serial flash on the board may be corrupted.                                     |

| Follow below steps to reset CYBT-343026-EVAL board to factory default state.                  |

| Note: This will erase any user applicaiton in the memory and reset the board to dafulat state |

|   1. Press and hold RECOVER button (SW2)

|

|   2. Press and hold RESET button (SW1) for 1 second

|

|   3. Release SW1

|

|   4. Release SW2

|

|   5. Re-program the board

|

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

I have done as above saying "Press and hold RECOVER button;Press and hold RESET button (SW1) for 1 second.......", but same fail.

I also do as Programming an EZ-BT WICED Module – KBA223428  saying "Pull SPI2_MOSI to GND  then reset", but same fail

pastedImage_1.png

1. Press RECOVER button mean set RECOVER pin to high,right?

2. What can I do next?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I strongly recommend that you download the schematics from the below website and perhaps compare to that of your own eval board. It may give you some ideas on what is missing. Anyway, the below EVB uses a USB-to-serial chip (dual channel) to communicate with HCI uart port and Peripheral uart port. If possible, please use the below EVB for your development.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cybt-353027-eval-ez-bt-module-arduino-e...

View solution in original post

17 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

If you look at the schematic, pressing the recovery button actually sets MOSI of the sFlash to GND. While pressing the recovery button, and perform a power cycle at the same time, the 706 will not detect the presence of the sFlash, and therefore it will enter HCI mode, awaiting commands from a host.

I tried again with Recovery PIN to GND then reset. Then download, but still have the above problem.

I see "RX,TX CTS,RTS" need to "ON" state(which means to GND) in EVAL, do I still need the same operation for module?

Currently, I tried again as below steps, but still fail.

1. CTS, RTS Recovery pin to GND

2. RESET pin to GDN, 1s later to HIGH

3. Recovery pin release

4. then downlaod again, but fail

0 Likes

By default, the four pins should be set to ON in order to get the uart port alive. Please set all of them to ON, and do the following:

1) Press and Hold recovery button

2) Press and release reset button

3) Release recovery button

The above steps should put the module into HCI uart mode.

0 Likes

Hi,

I know I need to set four pins to ON with EVAL board. But with the module(not EVAL board) just see my above picture, I have set RTS,CTS pin to low. RX pin and TX pin stil need to low? Then how device do the download with uart line? Maybe my steps should like below?

1. RTS,CTS, RX, TX pin to low firstly.

2. Power on module.

3. RX, TX connect to USB line then?

4. downloading

5. If fail, I need to  repeat 1-2 then1)-3) then 3-4 steps?

1) Press and Hold recovery button

2) Press and release reset button

3) Release recovery button

0 Likes

Can you set only CTS to high and do a power reset? Does it enter HCI mode?

0 Likes

Hi,

I just test again with CTS high and keep this state->RESET pin low->RESET pin high-> iBeacon-CYBT_343026_EVAL UART=COM4 download to download, but still above problem.

0 Likes

I noted that you have mounted the 343026 module onto a customized motherboard which I am not familiar with. You are using the PC usb and so I must highlight the presence of a USB-to-UART bridge like the FT2232. You will also need the correct platform files. The download procedure is described in the below blog.

Programming an EZ-BT WICED Module – KBA223428

0 Likes

You may consider the below board instead for your evaluation. It will be much more convenient.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cybt-343026-eval-ez-bt-module-arduino-e...

CYBT-343026-EVAL

0 Likes

I have this EVAL board. And it is OK for downloading. Now my problem is to upgrade FW to the module. How to upgrade via HCI uart? I try all the steps as the EVAL board done, always not OK. I use the USB which is USB-to-uart line(I confirmed it is oK). Module is in the our product, but all the power seems correct. module running fine.

Please tell me the connection with USB and steps with module upgrading. Please see my below description to have a check.

1. USB D+/D- to module D-/D+, USB GND to module GND. USB power line not connect(and I also test connect power, still fail)

2. CTS to high then reset module

3. insert USB to PC and COM port is 4, so I use "iBeacon-CYBT_343026_EVAL UART=COM4 download" to do download.

4. fail.

Then I tried to change step2 to CTS and RTS to low then reset module. and downloading, still fail

0 Likes

Did you have any issue doing FW download/upgrade on the EVAL board? Did you have any problem with the EVAL board?

0 Likes

No problem with EVAL board. EVAL board should let four pins to on, how about module?  I'm confused. EVAL board use USB line, and module updating I use USB-uart line.

0 Likes

I strongly recommend that you download the schematics from the below website and perhaps compare to that of your own eval board. It may give you some ideas on what is missing. Anyway, the below EVB uses a USB-to-serial chip (dual channel) to communicate with HCI uart port and Peripheral uart port. If possible, please use the below EVB for your development.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cybt-353027-eval-ez-bt-module-arduino-e...

Can you descripe the correct steps for module(Not EVAL board) for dowaloding?

0 Likes

I tried again. CTS to low then reset. It can enter downlaod mode. 01 03 0C 00 have the response. But when I use tool to download, it fails. And I tried other commnands, 01 18 FC 06 00 00 00 C2 01 00 or 01 2E FC 00, no response. Only 01 03 0C 00 have the response. And then I change other tool, client control.exe, it shown below. I think this is the cause problem.  If HCI rest can response, is it means device in download mode now? Then why fail?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

I wished to state that the step of putting "CTS to LOW" is a must only for 20719-based module. This step is not required for CYBT343026-01 which is a 20706-based module.

KBA223428 is the only document on how to program a EZ-BT module.

KBA221025 are the required platform files for WICED programming.

The procedure described in Reply 3 is based on the Recovery-from-sFlash.

I noted that the only difference between your setup and that of ours is the base board of which the module is soldered on. I feel that something is not right there. Otherwise, the programming procedure is well established and verified.

0 Likes

Just in case you need the chinese version of the programming guide.

如何烧录EZ-BT WICED模组 – KBA223428

0 Likes

I think device don't enter HCI downalod mode.  When CTS  to high, then reset. It should enter downalod mode. Then I send HCI_RESET command via HCI uart to see if there is response, but no response. So I think device don't enter download mode

0 Likes