Cannot bring BT device up with hciconfig [CYBT-413034-02]

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnHu_4662101
Level 2
Level 2
First like given

Cannot bring CYBT-413034-02 dual-BT device up:

Command:

hciconfig

Output:

hci1:   Type: Primary  Bus: UART

BD Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00  ACL MTU: 0:0  SCO MTU: 0:0

DOWN

RX bytes:0 acl:0 sco:0 events:0 errors:0

TX bytes:12 acl:0 sco:0 commands:3 errors:0

Trying to bring device up:

hciconfig hci1 up

Output:

Can't init device hci1: Connection timed out (110)

Devices where attached:

ls -l /dev/ttyA*

crw-rw----    1 root     dialout   166,   0 Dec  8 20:28 /dev/ttyACM0

crw-rw----    1 root     dialout   166,   1 Dec  8 20:28 /dev/ttyACM1

With btattach:

btattach -B /dev/ttyACM0 -S 115200 -P h4 &

btattach -B /dev/ttyACM1 -S 115200 -P h4 &

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi MaFi_4167226 ,

If the device is entering download mode, then it will respond only to FW download commands. To recover from that you may have to hard reset the board.

Regards,

Anjana

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi AnHu_4662101​,

Will you please have a look at these threads and see if it works for you:

use EZ-BT CYBT-423028-EVAL as BT HCI device

CYW20719 in HCI mode

0 Likes
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi AnHu_4662101 ,

As per your previous threads : CYBT-413034-02: "LE Set Scan Parameters Command" returns "COMMAND DISALLOWED (0x0C)" , No route to host 113 while trying to connect as BLE central to BLE peripheral  you were able to bring up and send HCI commands.

Can you please confirm what happened now ?

Regards,
Anjana

0 Likes

Hi,

I've send a PM with schematic (custom PCB) details about this.

1. It looks like the module stays in boot-mode/flash-mode after the custom Linux image is booted so no HCI commands are getting executed. The device(s) returns timeout. It has to do something with UART control lines. This does not happen every time, sometimes after a cold-boot the devices respond again.

2. I'm not sure how can I connect to flash a new firmware since the module is in a custom PCB? Maybe this is not needed?

BootSequence (Medium).png

Any help on this issue is appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes

AnjanaM_61​ Hi this is a colleague of AnHu speaking.

I recorded above traces with a logic analyzer to see in what mode the Cypress device is booting into.

We did not solder the pull-up resistor to the N_RESET line since the dongle contains this resistor internally.

What we found is that the N_RESET line is behaving strange, it goes to 2.1 V first and then a second bump to 3.1V. After this sequence the Dongle is correctly attached and is responding to all HCI commands, so we assume the Dongle is actually checking it's CTS pin at the second bump (from 2.1V to 3.1V). Is this a correct assumption?

When we reset Dongle and do a warm-restart, the Dongle fails to respond to all HCI commands (since the CTS is then active low), so it is in download mode.

Is there any way to force the dongle into normal HCI mode after this? We are not in direct control of the flow control pins, only the reset line. Thank you for your response.

Best regards,

Mattia

0 Likes

Hi MaFi_4167226 ,

If the device is entering download mode, then it will respond only to FW download commands. To recover from that you may have to hard reset the board.

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Fore more context, this is what I'm seeting, I've highlited this with selection blue:

- This is from the page: https://community.cypress.com/community/linux/blog/2019/06/30/running-bluez-on-cy-part#Introduction

pastedImage_0.png

"Here, timeout is happening when host tries to send a HCI reset. This can be resolved by manually resetting the device."

This cannot be done since the device is only accessible remotely, and the board is custom made.

0 Likes