Can't set power on CYBT-483039-02

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaHo_397236
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome!

Hello,

I'm trying to set Tx power on board CYBT_483039_EVAL for Advertisement with this code:

wiced_bt_start_advertisements(BTM_BLE_ADVERT_OFF, 0, NULL);

r = wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power(8);

wiced_bt_start_advertisements(BTM_BLE_ADVERT_NONCONN_HIGH, BLE_ADDR_RANDOM, NULL);

and result is 0 - OK. But when I'm reading curent value, the result is still 4.

wiced_bt_ble_read_adv_tx_power((wiced_bt_dev_cmpl_cback_t *)read_tx_power_cb);

void read_tx_power_cb(wiced_bt_tx_power_result_t *p_tx_power)

{

if ( (p_tx_power->status==WICED_BT_SUCCESS) && (p_tx_power->hci_status==HCI_SUCCESS) )

WICED_BT_TRACE("adv tx power: %i\n", p_tx_power->tx_power);

}

Don't you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

And second question: What are the valid values of Tx power for this module? I'm little bit confused, somebody says the maximum power is +4dBm + gain of PA/LNA, others the max value is +16.

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi David,

I was able to reproduce the issue with CYW20719 . The issue is only with WICED 6.2, its fixed in WICED 6.4

But unfortunately CYW20719 based Ez- serial modules have some known issue of inconsistent behavior in WICED 6.4. This will be fixed in next WICED SDK 6.5 version.

If 4dBm tx power (max power setting) is fine for your application, you can carry on development with WICED 6.2 for now and can shift to WICED 6.5 later.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks,
Anjana

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi David,

Please have a look at the following thread which clarifies your queries:

CYBT-483039-02 documented PA/LNA control interface

Thanks,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hello Anjana,

thank you for quick response.

So I see that valid Tx power levels for this chip are [4, 0, -4, -8, -12, -16, -20, -24] dBm, and I have probably module set up to maximum Tx power. In real test in open air I find out usable range about 140-180m against mobil phone held by hand. Could it be adequate?

Are there any limitations how and when to set Adv Tx power? I tried call wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power(-8) when beacon advertising is on and off, but verification by wiced_bt_ble_read_adv_tx_power(cb) always returns 4. I have no idea where the problem might be.

Thans for patience,

David

0 Likes

Hi David,

I was able to reproduce the issue with CYW20719 . The issue is only with WICED 6.2, its fixed in WICED 6.4

But unfortunately CYW20719 based Ez- serial modules have some known issue of inconsistent behavior in WICED 6.4. This will be fixed in next WICED SDK 6.5 version.

If 4dBm tx power (max power setting) is fine for your application, you can carry on development with WICED 6.2 for now and can shift to WICED 6.5 later.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks,
Anjana

Hi Anjana,

thanks for verification of my problem. I started with WICED 6.4, but than I found the issue with CYW20719 and I downgraded IDE to 6.2.

What do you think about the real usable range of nonconnectable beacon advertising of this modul with max Tx power? I tryied test with mobile phone in open air and I see the beacon in range up to 180m. I expected a little bit more.

When are you planig to release WICED 6.5? Now I can't change Tx power and I'm afraid that the value of 4dBm with PA is too much for Europe regulations.

Thanks,

David

0 Likes

Hi David,

Range will depend on so many parameters like the line of sight , environment , module placement etc. We don't have practically tested values for max range.

I am sorry , I am not sure about WICED 6.5 release as it is still under process. I understand your point on regulatory certification.

I would suggest you to contact any of our local sales support for help on WICED release.

Thanks,
Anjana

FYI :

You can now use CYBT_483039_EVAL in WICED 6.4 SDK with the patches available here: Platform and New Patch Files For 20719B1 in WICED 6.4.0.61 - KBA228518

Thanks & Regards,
Anjana