CYW920719Q40-B1 eval kits has a strange wave after a hard reset

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rydge
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hello, 

I purchased a CYW920719Q40-B1 eval kits for my project recently. I am trouble in that it will always generates a series of waves after downloading official samples onto the board with WICED v6.6 which is observed via spectrum analyzer. But a new bare CYW20719 won't behave like that.

For more details is following.

1. The wave only occurs at the beginning after a hard reset.

2. The wave seens a continous wave like the following figure shows.

rydge_0-1626180508851.png

3. The frequency of the wave occurs in order of 2441-->2474-->2410-->2426-->2441-->2458-->2474(MHz) which likes a Tx test or self checking mechanism of the bluetooth chip I guess. However, I can't find where to define it in the programme project.

What's my assumption:

I think it is a regular action configured by the official samples. Cause I tried it in a new 20719 chip without downloading any firmwares and won't represent this problem. Besides, I have tried almost every samples in the  20719-B1_Bluetooth/apps directory. They all have the same problems.

What's my effort:

1. I have simplify APPLICATION_START( ) by commenting all of the codes in it, but it doesn't solve.

2. I tried comment the function application_start_internal( void ) in 20719-B1_Bluetooth/WICED/common/spar_setup.c, but it doesn't solve.

Could you help me to locate the key of the problem? 

Thanks

Rydge Chiu

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @rydge ,

Thanks for the update. I clarified this issue with our internal team. We have stopped supporting CYW20719B1 devices. You are highly recommended to move to the latest version CYW20719B2 for development.

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
BragadeeshV

Hi @rydge ,

Can you please let us know the following to understand the behavior?

1. What are you trying to measure in the attached graph? Are you trying to measure the Tx power? Can you please let us know the point where you performing device reset in the graph? 

2. Which sample application are you using to test this behavior? When the device is reached from factory it is in  controller only mode and it can receive HCI commands from the host.

3. WICED 6.6 doesn't support discrete BT chips. Can you please reconfirm the WICED version you are using to do this experiment? 

We do not recommending editing the spar_setup.c file since it will lead to unexpected behavior

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to offer more details.

1. The attached graph is the IQ recorder window of CMW 270 capturing the Tx waveform after a Reset press on the EVB, namely the whole graph shows has already finished or the beginning of the reset process. What I can conclude is the wave seens a continous wave occurs in the order of 2441-->2474-->2410-->2426-->2441-->2458-->2474(MHz).
  2. The sample application I tested is the snip.hal.puart-CYW920719Q40EVB_01 under 20719-B1_Bluetooth/apps/snip/hal/puart. But I have tried to download almost all samples in the SDK and they all have the same problem. In addition, may I ask what is the 'controller only mode' you mentioned above? Do I have any ways to recover devices to that status and test again?
  3. What I used is WICED-Studio-6.6 and the Eclipse version is 4.4.2. I used it to download and learn these sample applications.
  4. Even if we don't modify the spar_setup.c the problem is there. Now it has been returned to origin. Thanks reminding.

Hope my supplement is useful.

Regards,
Rydge

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @rydge ,

Thanks for your update. As mentioned earlier, CYW20719 is a stand-alone BT part and is only supported till WICED version 6.4. As you are using WICED 6.6, we doubt that you are able to program/build the application successfully to the CYW920719Q40EVB-01 eval board as library support itself is not present in WICED 6.6 version.
We would suggest you to install WICED 6.4 and then try programming the board. Please let us know your observations.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi @BragadeeshV ,

Thanks for your advice. Indeed, we can't find the SDK in WICED 6.6 so we move the 20719-B1_Bluetooth to the SDK directory artificially and run it.However, what is unfortunate is I tried the WICED 6.4 as you advise, it still shows the same performance that generates a serial of wave after each Reset press. 

The console information as follows:

18:58:53 **** Build of configuration Release for project 20719-B1_Bluetooth ****
"E:\\WICED-Studio-6.4_SDK\\20719-B1_Bluetooth\\make.exe" snip.hal.puart-CYW920719Q40EVB_01 download
Compiling wiced_platform_pin_config.c
Compiling wiced_platform.c
Compiling spar_setup.c
Compiling hal_puart.c
Compiling wiced_platform.c
Compiling wiced_platform_pin_config.c
Compiling lib_installer.c
Linking target ELF
OK, made elf.
..\..\43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\ARM_GNU\Win32\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump: section '.ordered' mentioned in a -j option, but not found in any input file
..\..\43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\ARM_GNU\Win32\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump: section '.data' mentioned in a -j option, but not found in any input file
..\..\43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\ARM_GNU\Win32\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump: section '.aon' mentioned in a -j option, but not found in any input file
..\..\43xxx_Wi-Fi\tools\ARM_GNU\Win32\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump: section '.pram_rodata' mentioned in a -j option, but not found in any input file
Call to puart_spar_crt_setup @ 0021581d
OK, made E:/WICED-Studio-6.4_SDK/20719-B1_Bluetooth/WICED/../build/puart-CYW920719Q40EVB_01-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20719B1-puart-rom-ram-spar.cgs. MD5 sum is:
e402659714e00e58fde3205c1aab14ef *../build/puart-CYW920719Q40EVB_01-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20719B1-puart-rom-ram-spar.cgs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patch code starts at 0x00270400 (RAM address)
Patch code ends at 0x0027A518 (RAM address)
Patch RW/ZI size 2572 bytes
Application starts at 0x002155FC (RAM address)
Application ends at 0x0021581C (RAM address)

Patch code size 41240 bytes
Application RAM footprint 544 bytes
------
Total RAM footprint 3116 bytes (3.0kiB)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Converting CGS to HEX...
Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...
Conversion complete
OTA image footprint in NV is 62959 bytes

Detecting device...
Device found

Downloading application...
Download complete

Application running.

18:59:13 Build Finished (took 19s.180ms)

Spectrum image:

In the spectrum analyzer, the result would be show as follows when the trace mode set as Max Hold. (High definition image has been attached in the end)

rydge_1-1626787721171.png

Looking for your reply, thanks a lot.
Rydge

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @rydge ,

Thanks for the update. I clarified this issue with our internal team. We have stopped supporting CYW20719B1 devices. You are highly recommended to move to the latest version CYW20719B2 for development.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes