CYBT-333047: Differences between .ota.hex and .hex files

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PascalS
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

We are using a CYBT-333047 module based on the CYW20206 silicon. The .hex files for the EZ-Serial module platform are located here. There is a .zip archive​ with the up-to-date .hex files for this platform.

The Release.txt says the following:

This folder contains the EZ-Serial WICED Firmware V1.1.14 Release images for the

CYBT-343026-01 series modules. These images may be used on the following modules:

- CYBT-343026-01

- CYBT-333032-02

- CYBT-333047-02

- CYBT-343151-02

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex file is the complete firmware image suitable for flashing via HCI UART.

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin files is suitable for BLE firmware update

Like mentioned in the Release.txt file, we can use the .hex file to completely update the module via WICED Module Programmer (HCI-Interface) and the .ota.bin file to update BLE firmware OTA via btsdk-peer-apps-ota.

But there is another file within the archive with an .ota.hex ending (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.hex). What can we do with this file? It is not possible to use the WICED Module Programmer to flash our module with this .ota.hex file.

Best Regards!

0 Likes
1 Solution
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi user_1536336​,

ota.bin is binary representation of the ota.hex file. OTA hex file uses different offsets than the hex file used for the HCI UART download.OTA hex file starts data at offset 0 and upgrade app deals with physical location. For HCI download or using WICED Module Programmer, you need to use .hex file.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SheetalJ

Hi user_1536336​,

ota.bin is binary representation of the ota.hex file. OTA hex file uses different offsets than the hex file used for the HCI UART download.OTA hex file starts data at offset 0 and upgrade app deals with physical location. For HCI download or using WICED Module Programmer, you need to use .hex file.

1. Okay, so the .ota.bin file (for BLE stack update OTA) and the .hex file (for complete firmware update) is enough for me and I can remove .ota.hex in my repsoitory without loosing any functionallity?
  2. Is the currently up-to-date BLE stack included in the .hex file? So is the .ota.bin file a subset of the .hex file?

Best Reagrds!

0 Likes
SheetalJ

1. Yes ideally you can remove the file. I would suggest you to check it once before removing in final project.

2. I do not understand your point. As mentioned earlier, ota.bin is binary representation of the ota.hex file. I dont think it can be referred to as subset of .hex file.

0 Likes
  1. Okay!
  2. Sorry, I didn't explained it clearly. With .hex I did not mean .ota.hex

The EZ-Serial_V1_1_14_CYBT_343026_Release.txt file says:

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex file is the complete firmware image suitable for flashing via HCI UART.

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin files is suitable for BLE firmware update.

When I do a complete firmware update via HCI UART (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex) is there automatically the (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin) ble stack implemented? Or do I have to do a HCI UART update and afterwards a BLE OTA stack update?

If the ble stack (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin) is integrated in the HCI UART (ezserial_343026-CYBT_343026_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex) update, the .ota.bin is a subset of the .hex for me.

Best Regards!

0 Likes
SheetalJ

The BLE stack is in the ROM code and can’t be updated. You can only update your application.

The EZ-Serial_V1_1_14_CYBT_343026_Release.txt means:

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex is only for HCI UART download.

The xxx-rom-ram-Wiced-release.ota.bin can be used for the OTA update with BLE.