Anaren 20737 Bluetooth Evaluation Kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DoWh_4518881
Level 1
Level 1

I found an older Anaren "Bluetooth Smart Development Kit" on my junk shelf and am trying to determine if it has any real use to me.

At time of production, it was advertised to interface with the Atmosphere IoT platform; when Anaren end-of-lifed the 20737 module, Atmosphere ended platform support.

It was suggested I could use the Wiced SDK to still work with the dev board, but after downloading and installing the Wiced SDK, not seeing that it supports the 20737.

I'm a hobbyist when it comes to this kind of stuff, its not my day job engineering focus and expertise, so I'd be lying if I said I was comfortably familiar with these kinds of dev tools.

Was hoping to get some insight as to whether the guidance I received regarding the Dev kit and 20737 module and being able to manage it in the Wiced SDK is accurate info, or whether I'm wasting my time trying to make that happen.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Success!! Looks like we have Wiced Smart for the win. I needed to click a few screens further in, and that led me to the 20737 being listed as a supported device in Wiced Smart (but not, Wiced Studio). I was able to load one of the example files onto the device, so looks like this at least gives me some access to the EVK.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

From what I recall, the Anaren EVK was never a supported platform within the WICED Smart SDK.

Our 20737 EVK is definitely supported.

My understanding is that Digikey purchased Atmosphere, and now calls it the "IoT Studio"

Digi-Key Partners With Atmosphere to Deliver Low-code Software Development Platform to IoT Solution ...

You may want to check with DK to determine if the Anaren Kit is still supported within IoT Studio.  I'm guessing that it is...

0 Likes

Interesting, thank you for that insight. It was the Atmosphere folks who told me to look at Wiced, since Atmosphere pulled support of 20737 based products. I'm wondering if they were thinking it was a Cypress EVK, and not Anaren.

0 Likes

I just looked at the Digikey IoT Platform, it is simply Atmosphere with a Digi-key banner.

My sense is, I have a nice evaluation board with no tool/software support, or at least, that I'm at the skill level of sorting out.

0 Likes

Yes, at one point, I believe they provided Platform files that worked within the WICED Smart SDK.

Have you installed the WICED Smart EVK and plugged the Anaren board in?  Anaren followed out EVK design for the most part, so it may work out of the box.

0 Likes

Yea, I gave that a try. Selected the various drop down options for devices, no luck. There is no option for a 20737 series device, and the SDK reports that it cannot find the target board.

As far as Wiced goes, I installed the Wiced Studio, as opposed to Wiced Smart. I couldn't find anything that details the differences between the two, went on the premise that the Studio package includes everything the Smart tool offers, but I very well could be wrong there.

0 Likes

If you are looking for a BLE product that's easy to use and well supported with tools, take a look at PSoC 4 BLE: https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-4-ble-bluetooth-smart

Use PSoC Creator for Development: https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide

OR

If you want a high level serial interface that's even easier to use, take a look at EZ-Serial: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform

Here's the kits you'd need:

pastedImage_3.png

0 Likes

Success!! Looks like we have Wiced Smart for the win. I needed to click a few screens further in, and that led me to the 20737 being listed as a supported device in Wiced Smart (but not, Wiced Studio). I was able to load one of the example files onto the device, so looks like this at least gives me some access to the EVK.

0 Likes

Excellent. I thought that the Anaren kit worked out of the box, but wasn't sure if they provided a custom platform or not.

0 Likes