"Windows error 2" when attempting install of WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.1-IDE-Installer on Windows 7

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am attempting installation on Windows 7, and have made multiple attempts with the same error.

I download and run the exe, but only get as far as LaunchAnywhere going through the initial process as you can see below.

trouble1.jpg

On the InstallAnywhere window, the progress bar gets to the right side and then the error window below appears without any further explanation.

troubleDuringWicedIdeInstallForWindows.jpg

I have tried removing all Java installations and installing just 8.0_20 as some have suggested, but I get the same error. I have also disabled the virus checker and have all other programs closed.  Same error.  I also had the same issue when installing the same on a Windows 8.1 computer.  I am out of options. Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

aneedles

I wanted to let you know that jamesle1 on the team did some research in this area and discovered that when you run across the Windows error 2 while loading the Java VM (needed when installing any of the SDK IDEs), that you can try running the installer from the command prompt with the LAX_VM command line parameter:

C:\Users\Downloads>install.exe LAX_VM "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_60\bin\java.exe"

Note: change the paths according to your specific system.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
MichaelF_56

Did you install the 32b version of the JVM?  That helped me once when I had a similar issue.

Are you able to install an older version of the SDK, then upgrade to the newer version using the .7z and adding the new version as a project inside of Eclipse?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I think. This is the one I installed....

JAVA INSTALL CHOICES.jpg

Does that look correct?  Thanks.

0 Likes

Not sure.

Since the Java site detects your browser automatically, downloading the 32b JVM is tricky, so I used the following link to download JVM 6/32b: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5272216/is-it-possible-to-install-both-32bit-and-64bit-java-on-wi... and confirm that both 32b and 64b can reside on the same machine.

I think you may have the one eferber recommended in this thread: Re: 2.2.1 IDE on Win10

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The site above allows download of specific files, and the filename matches that shown on the diagram - so I'm pretty confident that I go the one in intended.  Perhaps I can try a later 32-bit version.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried a later version without any luck.  I have looked and see at least one other user having issues with Windows 7 without any clear answers. The challenge is that there appears to be no way to get any more information on the reason for the error popup. I hope that someone is listening who can make some improvements to the process, specifically to design in meaningful error messages... .please.

-Aaron

0 Likes

Understand the frustration. Note that we use Windows 7 internally and have 400-500 users in the company that have installed the SDK without a hitch, so I'm not sure what's happening.  I have reinstalled/installed over a dozen times since version 1 under Windows 7 without an issue.

Couple of things:

This user mentions installing in a different directory?

Re: A problem about install this WICED-Smart-SDK-2.1.1-IDE-Installer

Have you tried this?

Have you tried to install an older version of the SDK, say WICED Smart SDK 2.2 has been released...?

If this installs, then there is a straight forward means to upgrade using the .7z

I will also check around internally to see if anyone on the engineering side can decypher the error message above that is being thrown by "InstallAnywhere"

0 Likes

I Googled: "windows error 2 occurred while loading the java vm installanywhere"

And found this thread which appears to indicate that JVM 7 needs to be installed and the system path updated accordingly: https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?214384-Windows-error-2-when-trying-to-start-ins...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had tried installing the older version, but still the same issue.

Since most people do not have this problem with Windows 7, it looks like it is something specific with my PC that is the issue. However, without a method to see the specific problem, there is no way to know I am getting closer to a real solution. I don't want to waste more time trying older versions of Java. I have put over 10 hours into this and need to move on.

Thanks for your help.

-Aaron

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aaron - did you make sure you removed all existing Java installations before installing 8u20?

After uninstalling everything and installing 8u20 it worked for me (Windows 10 though)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I had uninstalled all Java installations and removed all java references from the environment variables before installing 8u20.

I am giving up on the Windows 7 installation and trying it on a new Windows 8.1 computer, which seems to have worked.

0 Likes
MichaelF_56

aneedles

I wanted to let you know that jamesle1 on the team did some research in this area and discovered that when you run across the Windows error 2 while loading the Java VM (needed when installing any of the SDK IDEs), that you can try running the installer from the command prompt with the LAX_VM command line parameter:

C:\Users\Downloads>install.exe LAX_VM "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_60\bin\java.exe"

Note: change the paths according to your specific system.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what worked for me, thanks to Elad on another thread (Re: 2.2.1 IDE on Win10)

1 - Remove all installation using uninstall / remove programs

2 - Download this archive version of the 32 bit (x86) version of the JRE (8u20 is the version you should get).  You may have to create a username/password

https://community.broadcom.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oracle.com%2Ftechnetwork%2Fja...

3 - Run the Wiced SDK 2.2.1 installer

Nothing else I tried on these forums solved this "Windows error 2" issue for me (not to say that they don't work, they just didn't for me).  This is simple and works.

0 Likes

WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.2-IDE-Installer (Windows)​ should work on Windows 10.  I tried this on my home machine (We only use Win 7 at work) and it worked fine.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not a big problem at all. I have faced the same windows error 2. I am using hp laptop so I have just visited hp care website https://hpetechnicalsupportnumber.com/hp-customer-care-number/  and they resolved it quickly. You should visit there for the proper solution. Thank you!