mmp20736 random disconnection over IOS

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm experiencing some disconnection issues under IOS. Never had problems under Android and win 8.1.

It happens that with system in idle state or not, BLE disconnects randomly.

Problem is more frequent on certain units.

Can you help me?

Thank you,

Franco

1 Solution

j.t,

We're seeing disconnects occurring fairly regularly on iOS 8 when we attempt to send an indication to the central running on iOS.  I've documented it here:

iOS and Connection Parameter Update Request Ignored

It was suggested that we upgrade to SDK 2.2.1 and we have done that and see no change in the behavior.  It sounds from this that there may be another SDK version/fix that is needed.  If so, please include me in the notification of its release.

Thank you,

Phill

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Which version of iOS?

iOS 8 seems to be working fine for many, but anything newer than iOS 8 is giving alot of people trouble.

You can also try upgrading to WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.1-IDE-Installer (Windows) as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thank you for reply.

Are there other people experiencing same issue under IOS if over version 8? I'm using 8.1.3.

Does SDK 2.2.1 solves this issue? I'm using 2.1.1

Franco

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Franco,

We are working on a fix for the iOS 8.x and above and will let you know when this is ready.

Thanks

JT

0 Likes

j.t,

We're seeing disconnects occurring fairly regularly on iOS 8 when we attempt to send an indication to the central running on iOS.  I've documented it here:

iOS and Connection Parameter Update Request Ignored

It was suggested that we upgrade to SDK 2.2.1 and we have done that and see no change in the behavior.  It sounds from this that there may be another SDK version/fix that is needed.  If so, please include me in the notification of its release.

Thank you,

Phill

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi phill,

this sounds familiar.

After I migrated to 2.2.1 I were no more able to reproduce problem even if with old SDK units. It seems that some enviromental factor influences repetibility of problem. Probably because it's linked to retries number. So I don't know if problem was solved. From what you say, I guess not.

For me it's very important to understand at this point if units that now have this disconnection problem can be fixed on the field with a SW update. Else I have to stop production because I can't sell to final users!

Does anyone has this information?

If SDK change is enough to solve problem, when do you think new SDK will be released?

Thank you

Franco

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to update you that I have solved, or am closer to solving, my disconnect problem, but it sounds like not the same issue you are having in this thread. 

The solution to my problem was ensure sleep is disabled while the application thread is running.  This accomplished two things: My connection parameter update request to the iPhone that was not working before is now working and I can throttle back the 30 msec. pinging to something more reasonable for my application.  I'm also seeing much reduced power consumption due to this throttling of the connection interval, as well as now I am observing the disconnects are much less frequent.

The tendency of the BLE stack to want to go to sleep during application execution has bitten me before during initialization.  I had resolved that many weeks ago by disabling sleep during initialization.  I was not aware until now that I also need to disable sleep during ALL APPLICATION PROCESSING (such as notifications and connection up/down event processing, etc. )... Essentially any callback I register that does any significant work will need to push the application sleep state to a stack, do it's thing, and then restore the sleep state to what it was upon entry.

I just got one disconnect while writing this, but it's been several minutes, and now I have high hopes that with further tuning I can nix this problem.

thanks for listening... hope this will help someone with similar problems.

Eric

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

since project migration to new SDK my problem were no more reproductable on old fw units. So I was not able to understand if disconnection was fixed in new units.

Finally we were able to reproduce problem on a unit with 2.2.0 SKD fw. In same conditions 2.2.1 SDK fw has no disconnection problems.

So it seems that in my case problem were solved by 2.2.1 SDK.

Thank you

Franco

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if this is the same problem but we are currently having frequent disconnects when I enable sleep mode.  Everything was working fine and now trying to optimize power, but when I enable sleep I get random disconnects about 1 per minute. (We are using regular sleep, not deep sleep as we keep the connection up continuously while collecting ADC samples 20 times per second through the SPIFFY2 interface).  This was the case on both iOS 6 and iOS8.  I upgraded to 8 this morning hoping that would solve the problem.  It didn't.  I have not yet tried SDK 2.2.1 - I downloaded it this morning but have not installed yet.  When I disable sleep I get zero disconnects until the battery dies, which happens all too soon.  Also, I don't know if this is related, but during connection with the iPhone, I'm seeing on the O-scope very consistent current blips every 30 ms.  These add a bout 1mA to my current draw and I want to make them stop.  Also I suspect they could be, maybe, possibly, somehow related to the disconnects if they are some kind of handshake from the iPhone and it finds my peripheral device asleep and doesn't get the response quickly enough..  speculation, I admit, but it kinda makes sense.

eric

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for infomations ehoffman,

in my case sleep is disabled, so I don't think is same problem. Maybe you have some output conflicts?

I hope IOS 8.x fixes will solve problem.

JT,

are you working on same disconnection issue? So is this issue not yet solved on SDK 2.2.1?

How can I apply fixes when ready? We're going in production so only thing can I do is updating my firmware.

Thank you

Franco

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

regarding updating to SDK 2.2.1, do I have to uninstall old SDK 2.2.0?

then I re-post other questions:

JT,

are you working on same disconnection issue? So is this issue not yet solved on SDK 2.2.1?

How can I apply fixes when ready? We're going in production so only thing can I do is updating my firmware.

thank you

Franco

0 Likes

You do not have to uninstall SDk 2.2.0.

I just installed SDK 2.2.1 over the weekend and created a new directory for 2.2.1 during the install.

I am now able to use the "Switch Workspace" feature within the Eclipse IDE to move between the two versions.

Works like a charm.

SDK 2.2.1 has solved a few disconnect issues for other users.

0 Likes