.hex file created on Mac does not work when downloaded from Windows???

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Our development PCs are Macs running OS X (Yosemite).  The SDK is 2.2 for the BCM20736S/BCM20737S.  So we have compiled, created .hex files, downloaded and tested them.  They always work.

Our manufacturer uses PCs running Windows (10).  We sent them the .hex files we created, they downloaded the file to the device and the code does NOT run.  They got a hold of a Mac over at their factory, tried it again, and it works as expected.

So we tried it here in the office and, to our surprise, confirmed what they saw.  The downloaded file, in Windows ,does not run.  Wow!

We just don't understand.  Does anyone know what is going in?

Does WICED have a problem with Windows?

Thanks!

Gil

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi sambhav

It looks like it's not able to find your .hex file. Could you add the file directory leading to your .hex file? It will be in the build directory of the SDK. If you are running the command from the SDK location, you can add the file as the following. -CONFIG build\hello_client-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release\hello_client-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

View solution in original post

16 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Regarding the hex file which is created by the SDK, I am checking to seeing if the file is different when created under OSX as compared to x86/PC.

The files should be identical from a s structural perspective, but I’m not sure if we’ve ever tested cross compatibility between the two operating systems as it is possible the OSX file system adds bits that the minidriver on the PC does not compensate for when trying to load.

I'll let you know if I find anything out.  In the meantime, do you have a PC you can use to compile your app and provide a PC/x86 based hex file to the manufacturing group?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good suggestion, but interestingly ...

I just ran another test.

I completely compiled the code on a Windows PC, and downloaded it as well.  The code does NOT run either.

Puzzled ....

0 Likes

I spoke to the developers and they confirmed that the hex files should be identical when built with the same version of the Windows or Mac SDK. They asked if you can try building the default hello_sensor on Windows and Mac and send us the entire build directory from the two (attach to this discussion).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just noticed that I have SDK 2.2.2 on the Windows PC and SDK 2.2.0 on the Mac.  I will upgrade the Mac and get back to you.

Either way, getting .hex and .cgs files from the Mac, and downloading them on the Windows PC should work, even with the SDK differences.  The download is all command line and doesn't care where/how the files were generated.  That's what makes sense anyways, right?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, when I clicked "Check for Updates" it says there are no new updates.  So the latest SDK for Mac is 2.2.0, but for Windows it's 2.2.2?

0 Likes

The latest version for both is 2.2.2: WICED Bluetooth Documents & Downloads

The update menu item unfortunately has never worked within the implementation of Eclipse we use for the WICED and WICED Smart SDKs.

Check the link above for the most recent release.

jaeyoung

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I have 2.2.2 on both machines.  The .hex files have different sizes.  I'm attaching the .zip for both "build" folders.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I attach files to a discussion?  I see icons for image and video, but not files.

0 Likes

When you hit reply, select "Advanced Editor" (top right), and then within the editor, select "attach" (bottom right).

I've asked jaeyoung​ on the applications team to help resolve the issue and she has both a Mac and PC she can use for testing.

She should be able to look into this sometime over the next few days.

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here they are.  Thanks.

0 Likes

Hello Guilherme,

I've looked into this problem and am finding no issues in interchanging Windows generated and OSX generated .hex files. I was able to download a OSX generated .hex file into a TAG4(20737) and it is showing up as the correct ble device on my iPhone device list. I've done a diff between the two .hex files and the only difference is the BD_ADDR. The SDK I used is WicedSmart_002.002.002.0082. You can check the exact version in <SDK>/version.txt. Could you let me know if the SDK versions of the .zip files you attached above are the same? However, please note that the version is only matched for .hex file diff purposes and should not matter which version you choose to interchange between OSX and Windows.

Another question, I know your original test was done with Windows 10. Was the second test done with Windows 10 as well? We do not have a Windows 10 machine at the moment but will be receiving one within the next few days so I will be able to verify that for you.

Which program did you use to download the files? Did you try chipload.exe located in <SDK>/Tools? You can use the following, replace COM<YOUR_PORT_NUMBER> and <YOUR_HEX_NAME>.hex with your port and file names, such as COM68 and wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex.

Tools\ChipLoad\Win32\ChipLoad.exe -BLUETOOLMODE -PORT COM<YOUR_PORT_NUMBER> -VERIFY -BAUDRATE 115200 -MINIDRIVER Platforms/BCM920737TAG_Q32/uart_DISABLE_EEPROM_WP_PIN1.hex -BTP Platforms/BCM920737TAG_Q32/20737_EEPROM.btp -CONFIG <YOUR_HEX_NAME>.hex -CHECKCRC -DLMINIDRIVERCHUNKSIZE 251

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Yes, please try it with Windows 10 as well.  I will try it here with an older version of Windows.  I have a PC with Windows 8 and one with Windows 7 I think.

We will also try these changes to the download program.

I will let you know what happens.

Cheers,

Gil

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jaeyoung

Here is a screenshot of the procedure you described - this is on Windows 10. Is there something I am typing wrong?

pastedImage_1.png

Let me know! Thanks!

Hi sambhav

It looks like it's not able to find your .hex file. Could you add the file directory leading to your .hex file? It will be in the build directory of the SDK. If you are running the command from the SDK location, you can add the file as the following. -CONFIG build\hello_client-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release\hello_client-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks jaeyoung

That works! I tried copying the file in the SDK folder which did not work. Thanks again!

Hi Sambhav,

Sure thing, thank you for posting your results. I just tried downloading an OSX created .hex file to a TAG4 on a Windows 10 machine as well to verify it on my side, it downloaded fine. Let us know if you run into any other problems!

Thanks,

Jaeyoung