download run

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I have a question about option of make target.

I'd like to use both "download" and "download run" as make target option.

WICED Wi-Fi SDK supports these option. But WICED Smart SDK does not.

Is there any way to use both option on WICED Smart SDK?

SDK2.1.1 and later automatically starts the application after downloading.

And SDK 2.1.0 (or older), programmed application doesn't run by download.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I checked with the developers and we do not support download run.

Essentially, we only support JLink, no OpenOCD, so you cannot download the app using the debugger because the patches have to be installed by the boot ROM.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I don't think this is possible. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

WICED Wi-Fi SDK uses openOCD and WICED Smart SDK uses Broadcom's Chipload.

I'm pretty sure openOCD and JTAG are what enables WICED Wi-Fi SDK's ability to separate download and run.

Where as ChipLoad will load the app image to the chip and that is it. There is no way you can do to stop it from running as long as there's power, unless you are using a debugger, I think.

You may be able to change the Makefile and the toolchain in WICED Smart SDK in order to separate download and run, but it's probably not a good idea.

I haven't used SDK 2.1.0, so I can't speak for it.

James

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your comment.

Yes, I understand WICED Wi-Fi uses OpenOCD and WICED Smart not.

So does anybody has some idea about this?

Anyway, I'll try modifying Makefile and switch to old toolchain for only downloading.

0 Likes

<<<Where as ChipLoad will load the app image to the chip and that is it. There is no way you can do to stop it from running

I am pretty sure there is no way to prevent the auto-execute feature.  After programming the image into EEPROM and validating it's checksum, the minidriver auto-executes the firmware.  (Not sure if it simply lets the WatchDog fire to force a warm-boot, or if it performs a jump to the Rom bootcode that downloads/executes the firmware out of EEPROM into SRAM).

0 Likes

I checked with the developers and we do not support download run.

Essentially, we only support JLink, no OpenOCD, so you cannot download the app using the debugger because the patches have to be installed by the boot ROM.

0 Likes