WICED Smart SDK 2.1 (Ubuntu) and BCM9WICED_SENSE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new to BCM20737 development (I have some previous experience with AVR-ISP and avrdude and bootloaders for Atmel chips, if that matters).

I want to try out to build an app for the BCM9WICED_SENSE (nice-looking red device with a bunch of sensors) and for this I've installed WICED Smart SDK 2.1 for Ubuntu and fixed libperl.so.5.14 link, so now I am able to build projects. I've added wiced_sense from WICED Sense SDK under Apps and compiled it with

./make wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32 build

I have two questions. First, is whether BCM920737TAG_Q32 is the right platform for the target device?

The second one is that I can't find any instructions on how can I upload the program (of is it a module?) to the device via, say, USB. My guess is I should use cgs from under Tools, but what are the parameters and so on.

The WICED sense device is visible under usb (that is, cp210x driver I've compiled to replace the one in the kernel is there). I guess, USB/UART chip is different from FTDI usually found with dev. board kits. Not sure, if it matters, but seemed relevant to mention.

I would appreciate any links to manuals on the topic of getting the program to the device. I am aware there is Windows version of IDE and also OTA way. However, I am interested in doing it "old school" way, if possible.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
VikramR_26
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 10 comments on KBA

[Munir] :I have two questions. First, is whether BCM920737TAG_Q32 is the right platform for the target device?

[vik86] :Yes this is the right platform for the target device

[Munir]:The second one is that I can't find any instructions on how can I upload the program (of is it a module?) to the device via, say, USB. My guess is I should use cgs from under Tools, but what are the parameters and so on.

[vik86] : you can use the SDK to download the firmware to the wiced sense/ or terminal ./make wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download

[Munir]: The WICED sense device is visible under usb (that is, cp210x driver I've compiled to replace the one in the kernel is there). I guess, USB/UART chip is different from FTDI usually found with dev. board kits. Not sure, if it matters, but seemed relevant to mention.

[vik86] : the WICED Sense has the Silicon Lab UART chip , hence its not FTDI as you have rightly guessed. Hence you would need Silicon lab drivers ( USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers | Silicon Labs)

You can refer to this link for more details :WICED Sense Table of Contents

thnx

vik86

View solution in original post

10 Replies