WICED Smart IDE + WICED Sence = can't download firmware (asks for press reset on device)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I have the following device:

WICED Sense™ Bluetooth Smart Sensor Tag/Experience Kit - BCM9WICED_SENSE | Broadcom

I'm trying to build and flash firmware from examples: hello_sensor-BCM920736TAG_Q32 download UART=COM7

WICED Sense device appears at COM7 port in Windows 7 Device Manager (also COM8 port appears).

Log of WICED Smart IDE is the following:

14:11:36 **** Build of configuration Release for project WICED-Smart-SDK ****

"C:\\Users\\alex\\Documents\\WICED\\WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.1\\WICED-Smart-SDK\\make.exe" hello_sensor-BCM920736TAG_Q32 download UART=COM7

Compiling spar_setup.c

Compiling hello_sensor.c

Compiling sparinit.c

Compiling lib_installer.c

Linking target ELF

OK, made elf.

Call to hello_sensor_spar_crt_setup @ 00205d81

OK, made C:/Users/alex/Documents/WICED/WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.1/WICED-Smart-SDK/Wiced-Smart/spar/../../build/hello_sensor-BCM920736TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20736A1-hello_sensor-rom-ram-spar.cgs. MD5 sum is:

0a17bac205a53accb430f9964c823dc5 *../../build/hello_sensor-BCM920736TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20736A1-hello_sensor-rom-ram-spar.cgs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patches start at                  0x00204568 (RAM address)

Patches end at                    0x00205504 (RAM address)

Application starts at             0x00205140 (RAM address)

Application ends at               0x00205D7D (RAM address)

Patch size (including reused RAM)       3996 bytes

Patch size                              3032 bytes

Application size                        3133 bytes

------

Total RAM footprint                     6165 bytes (6.0kiB)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Conversion complete

OTA image footprint in NV is 8186 bytes

Downloading application...

****Download failed - Press the reset button on the device and retry ****

14:11:40 Build Finished (took 3s.576ms)

Could someone please tell me:

1) How to flash an application into WICED Sence device?

2) Where is "reset button" on WICED Sence device?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I resolved an issue!

1) open device case (on both sides)

2) press button (not accessible when device in its case) near buzzer (it's RESET button)

I recommend pwm_tones-BCM920737TAG_Q32 application for quick&dirty test that device works and flashing was successful 😉

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I resolved an issue!

1) open device case (on both sides)

2) press button (not accessible when device in its case) near buzzer (it's RESET button)

I recommend pwm_tones-BCM920737TAG_Q32 application for quick&dirty test that device works and flashing was successful 😉

Thanks for reporting this back to the forum Alex.  WICED Sense was designed to be a simple, very low cost "Out of the Box Experience kit", so it lacks many of the more tried and proven features of our true development board, the TAG3 (Hardware User Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board)

With that said, we have since added an external reset button to the new WICED SENSE 2 Quick Start Guide (BCM20737L)​ as so many users attempt to use WICED Sense for development and often run across the same issue.

0 Likes