WICED Sense: crucial that the sensors send data to the android phone at roughly same time...

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi j.t,

I have an app that connects to two WICED Sense kits, and enables notification on both. For my purposes, it is crucial that the sensors send data to the android phone at roughly same time, or take turns in sending data (alternating is okay). However, I notice that with the current configurations, the data transmission pattern is very unorganized (sometimes they take turns, sometimes one sends 5-10 msgs in a row before the other one send its data). Is there any way to make this pattern more organized (synced)?

I appreciate your response in advance.

1 Solution

you can modify the application code on the wiced sense side to do what you want.  for example you can collect data when it is available from the sensors and send it up on fine timer.  you can select sensor data to include in your packets.  its all in your hands.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Bardia,

We apologize that the sensor data is not transmitted in a more organized fashion for your use case.

Let us work on an explanation of the methodology of "sync'ing" the data with the Android Client.

But first, let us show a detailed architecture of how the sensor data is transmitted in such an "un-organized" fashion at present.  Thank you for your patience.

In the mean time, take a look at the material below.

Please see the WICED Sense Kit BLOG: WICED SENSE Kit BLOG

Several sections describe the Sensor Data Format and the Firmware Walk-Thru Video.

WICED Sensor Data Format

WICED Sense Firmware Walk-Thru Video

The WICED Sense Kit application was designed with this architecture in mind:

1.  Acquire real time sensor data (Gyro, Accelerometer, Magnetometer) as quickly as possible and send this data over the BLE Radio to the CIient (iPhone or Android Phone) for display.

2.  For non-critical non-rapidly changing data (Humidity, Temperature, Pressure), transmit whenever possible AND NOT interrupt the real time sensor XYZ data points of the other sensors and still meet BLE Timing.

Questions/Comments:

1. Is there the ability to store the data temporarily? The approach was NOT to use External Memory for cost purposes nor was the internal EEPROM made available for storage of sensor data - EEPROM storage was simply not our use case and is very difficult to implement.

2.  Can YOU make this pattern more "organized"?  Of course, but you will NOT receive the real time X/Y/Z Coordinates of real time sensor data.  If you can live either of the Gyro (XYZ), Accelerometer (XYZ) or Magnetometer (XYZ) NOT receiving real time data.

WICED Sense Kit Purpose:

It was decided to highlight the Broadcom WICED Smart Architecture to provide REAL WORLD Sensor data from the FASTEST data changing set of sensors in the smallest form factor possible!

Good luck with your implementation!

Sincerely,

JT

0 Likes

you can modify the application code on the wiced sense side to do what you want.  for example you can collect data when it is available from the sensors and send it up on fine timer.  you can select sensor data to include in your packets.  its all in your hands.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Bardia,

You mentioned 2 WICED Sense Kits and your App:

1.  In addition to the above suggestion, you need to gather the sensor data received on your first WICED Sense data collection and a methodology of storing that data and then receive the second WICED Sense collection and use that same methodology.

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it.

I had a similar solution in mine, where I store the first value and process it with the second value. The only problem is the small difference in transmission times, and how the first sensor's data has probably changed by the time its data is processed.

0 Likes