WICED Sense Reference Design .brd file

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will the Allegro *.brd file of the WICED Sense design be released, too?- Or how can I open the released "Allegro *.pcb" file with Allegro?Excuse my beginner's question.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello q2222,

Please see page 43 and page 44 for dimensions for the LPS25H pressure sensor:

LPS25H MEMS pressure sensor: 260-1260 hPa absolute digital output barometer - STMicroelectronics

Answer to Beginners Question:

Our iBeacon reference design and layout were done using Allegro.

The WICED Sense Design was done in Mentor - That's the confusion and why you can't open the Mentor board files in Allegro

Let me try to get the Allegro Symbol from ST and get back to you.

Thanks

JT

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Do you have a licensed copy of Allegro installed?  Or the free viewer that Cadence makes available on their website?

If so, you should be able to open the .brd file found here on the website (you will have to unzip it): iBeacon BCM20736 Reference Design Allegro Layout File

Below, I have it open in the Allegro free viewer version 16.6 for Windows 7:

FreeViewer.png

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have licensed copies of Allegro 16.6. I had no problems opening the iBeacon reference design of which the *.brd file is available. However I had appreciated it to look at the WICED Sense Reference Design Allegro Layout File because in this design the same pressure sensor is used like I intend to use in my design (I am not quite sure if I have drawn a reasonable footprint based on the datasheet of the device).

0 Likes

The Footprint refers to the solder pads of the components on the PCB, so I believe you may be asking if the footprint that you have drawn now is accurate, so you would like to compare it to the footprint we we created for the same pressure sensor.  Correct?

I spoke to the PCB designer and he verified that the PCB footprint that we created is based on the mechanical dimensions found in the pressure sensor's publicly accessible datasheet (pad size, location etc).

As long as your footprint is created based on the dimensions provided within the datasheet, you should be fine.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, thank you for asking your PCB designer. Based on the fact that I can not find all the needed mechanical information for the pad size of the device, I will do it like in the old days: I have ordered a sample part and I will measure it myself at the real physical part.

Below I have attached the mechanical drawing of the data sheet of the sensor (detail "B" is missing in the datasheet).

LPS25H.png

However my beginner's question remains: How can the WICED Sense design PCB Allegro file be opened with Allegro?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello q2222,

Please see page 43 and page 44 for dimensions for the LPS25H pressure sensor:

LPS25H MEMS pressure sensor: 260-1260 hPa absolute digital output barometer - STMicroelectronics

Answer to Beginners Question:

Our iBeacon reference design and layout were done using Allegro.

The WICED Sense Design was done in Mentor - That's the confusion and why you can't open the Mentor board files in Allegro

Let me try to get the Allegro Symbol from ST and get back to you.

Thanks

JT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello JT,

thank you for the clarification concerning the *.pcb files and Allegro/ Mentor: I was really unsure wether I did not even heard that there is a new Allegro file format since I did my last layout a year ago.

Concerning the the dimensions for the LPS25H: I have used all the data on the pages 43 and 44. There is almost everything clear based on the dimension table and the drawings. However I seem to be just to stupid to see that the pad size is explicitly mentioned in the drawings. => So I can make the assumption that the missing measures are "L" and "b".- That is just everything I wanted the WICED Sense layout file for: To make sure, to check that my assumption concerning the missing pad size is correct.

Pads.png

Thank you for your support.

0 Likes