Unable to change device name

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using the hello_sensor demo and tried to change the device name, I change all the name in the .c files but when build and load to the device, it is still shown up as "Hello". Does anyone ran into this problem before? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using WICED Explorer as the client.

Change in, "/*.local_name                     =*/ "Hello",        // [LOCAL_NAME_LEN_MAX];", worked for me.

I replaced "Hello" with, "Abhio" and I had seen the Advertising name(Local name) as "Abhio" on the scan page of WICED Explorer. This confirms that server is advertising with "Abhio" name.

Also, the same is observed in the Device name too.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Inside of Apps/RAM/Hello_sensor/hello_sensor.c

Go to BLE_PROFILE_CFG hello_sensor_cfg and change the following:

/*.local_name                     =*/ "Hello",        // [LOCAL_NAME_LEN_MAX];

If this is not working, then something is being cached.

What application are you using to scan for the service?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done that, I Thought it was cached too, I tried it with 3 iOS devices.

0 Likes

I figured out that there are 2 places where we store the device name.

The one that you mentioned is used within advertisements. 

/*.local_name                     =*/ "Hello",        // [LOCAL_NAME_LEN_MAX];

There is another instance which is stored in the GATT database.

CHARACTERISTIC_UUID16 (0x0015, 0x0016, UUID_CHARACTERISTIC_DEVICE_NAME,

LEGATTDB_CHAR_PROP_READ, LEGATTDB_PERM_READABLE, 16),

'H','e','l','l','o',0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,

To make sure that the name is not cached, you can change the device address in the Platforms\BCM020732TAG_Q32\... btp file. 

For example:

DLConfigBD_ADDRBase = "20732A001133"

Using this technique, iOS will see the new device.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using WICED Explorer as the client.

Change in, "/*.local_name                     =*/ "Hello",        // [LOCAL_NAME_LEN_MAX];", worked for me.

I replaced "Hello" with, "Abhio" and I had seen the Advertising name(Local name) as "Abhio" on the scan page of WICED Explorer. This confirms that server is advertising with "Abhio" name.

Also, the same is observed in the Device name too.

Thanks Abhishek!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all, I think the iPad mini is a little buggy, I tried it with a new iPhone it is okay.

0 Likes