Spec for uploading firmware to the BCM20732S via HCI UART?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I want to be able to upgrade the firmware on our BCM20732S through our separate MCU which is connected to the BLE's HCI UART. This way, we can ship out firmware upgrades that the user uploads via USB, and it will update both the MCU's firmware and the BLE's firmware at the same time.

Is there some kind of spec or document or source code describing exactly how this process works? So far I know that you have to reset the BCM20732S while the RX line on the HCI UART is pulled high. Then it will wait for the first programming commands and respond with verification bytes. However I have no idea what those commands and verification bytes actually are - I'm just trying to emulate what is happening over the serial port when I program it from the SDK.

Here's an example Arduino sketch I've been using to try to get the BCM20732S to at least respond to a programming request. I used a serial port monitor to capture what the SDK is sending over the FTDI programmer, and am sending those exact same bytes, but I can't seem to get it to respond:

Test Updating Firmware on the BCM20732S via HCI UART

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to upload firmware to the BCM20732S? Are there timing considerations or extra signals sent that my serial port monitor wouldn't be capturing?

Thanks!

Tyler

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Unfortunately, we can not provide a detailed electrical spec for this interface.

However, you may want to look at the chipload utility explained here: Programming the 20732S MODULE USING 2073xTAG Board

This is essentially the command line version of the same utility that the SDK uses to program the device.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
23 Replies