Mesh Network Power Consumption

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the process of evaluating using the BCM20737S in my design.  I understand that this will support Bluetooth 4.1+ so it seems like an attractive option for mesh networking.  Is there any information on how power consumption may change for a BLE device to be simultaneously central & peripheral?

0 Likes
1 Solution
asridharan
Employee
Employee
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

For the same connection interval, a master connection will consume slightly more power than a slave connection (because the master needs to have a more accurate clock). When you have both master and slave connections, then the two connection intervals and how they align with each other will greatly affect  power consumption. So there really is no straight answer to this question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
asridharan
Employee
Employee
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

For the same connection interval, a master connection will consume slightly more power than a slave connection (because the master needs to have a more accurate clock). When you have both master and slave connections, then the two connection intervals and how they align with each other will greatly affect  power consumption. So there really is no straight answer to this question.