Interrupt and CPU availability

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have an issue with, I believe, interrupt rates and the time it takes to process them.

I have an accelerometer sensor that sends me 30 interrupts per seconds, which I process. I have some other components that runs at the same time (specifically 1sec timer & 40ms timer) : they process long operation, such as writing to my flash memory, scanning for RFID tags, waiting for GPS location.

Everything works well, up until a random moment (1min to 5mins) where I just stop receiving any of the interrupts from the accelerometer. And they never come back, until I reset my board. My guess is that it comes from an unfortunate timing between the different components of my board and the CPU just can't process everything. Would that make sense? For example, in the RFID scanning, I use a sleep of 750us. It might be messing things up?

If it is the case, I can see that I need to tweak my application so this unfortunate event just does not occur. But to do so, I need to understand how interrupts are dealt with. Are they threaded? Can a timer interrupt an interrupt? Can an interrupt interrupt an interrupt? (wow sorry for that phrase) Is the OS is a RTOS? Basically, any information on the internals of the software runtime of the boards would be interesting for me. (I am using the BCM20737)

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Arthur,

Here are a few results I found doing a forum search that may help you get started with some of the questions you asked:

Fine timer max interval/interrupt question?

how to set a timer at 2ms

FineTimer

interrupt latency

Wiced Smart Software Runtime -- Lots of Questions

Let me know if these help at all and if the problem still continues.

- Lucy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Arthur,

Here are a few results I found doing a forum search that may help you get started with some of the questions you asked:

Fine timer max interval/interrupt question?

how to set a timer at 2ms

FineTimer

interrupt latency

Wiced Smart Software Runtime -- Lots of Questions

Let me know if these help at all and if the problem still continues.

- Lucy

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your research! It provides a lot of information.

Concerning my issue, it has been solved by changing some of the hardware of our prototype, so it was not (entirely at least) a software issue.

0 Likes