How to realize BLE Mesh Gateway Proxy example with CYBT343026?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NaB_2049561
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hi

I am planning to make one IOT BLE mesh gateway using CYBT343026.

Any ideas will be appreciable in this regard.

I have read in the app note that, BLE mesh Proxy gateway code could be used to make a gateway node. I don't know how to start. Can I have some simple steps to realize the Gateway Proxy example( mesh_gateway_proxy.c) for the module CYBT343026.

Thanks,

Naveen

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Naveen,

Cypress has already developed the 'mesh IOT gateway' and it will be released in the next Mbed SDK release (https://www.cypress.com/products/modustoolbox-software-environment#tabs-0-bottom_side-5 ). I would suggest you to use it for the development for your end product, since Cypress has already implemented gateway node protocols for you..

Here mesh_gateway_proxy is the application that you can use in the BT side of the gateway node. But you need to develop the host side code and also WiFi implementation.

BLE mesh Gateway node consist of BT (which will communicate with mesh network) as well as WiFi (enable to get a gateway access) portions (non-bt).  Also your host should be able to communicate with the BT chip with proper commands (HCI commands).

The mesh packet that you are getting on the gateway node through WiFi will be pushed to the BT side as coded in the host and BT side will communicate to the remaining nodes in the mesh network.

If you are planning to use Rpi (zero), I afraid you will have to develop the entire mesh stack. 

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

"A mesh gateway is a node that is able to translate messages between the mesh network and a non-Bluetooth technology. A node may be able to send and receive mesh messages through a mesh gateway while not in the range of any of the Relay nodes. This translation is out of scope for this specification"

To implement mesh gateway, your mesh gateway node (which is also a node in the mesh network) should be able to communicate with a non-bluetooth device (Eg: WiFi). Which means you may need to use a combo device as a mesh gateway node, and this node application should be capable of running necessary protocols which is used to communicate with the non-bluetooth technology device. CYBT343026 is a BT-BLE device which only knowns how to communicate with other bluetooth device.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

Hi DheerajP_41​,

How about using Rpi (zero) as a mesh IOT gateway. Since, Rpi uses Wifi and BT. I will add extra GSM. Any work around thi? Rpi got BLE and wifi combo.

My question is how can we make 'Mesh IOT gateway' Cypress BLE mesh devices. I did not find much documentation around this.

Thanks,

Naveen

0 Likes

Hi Naveen,

Cypress has already developed the 'mesh IOT gateway' and it will be released in the next Mbed SDK release (https://www.cypress.com/products/modustoolbox-software-environment#tabs-0-bottom_side-5 ). I would suggest you to use it for the development for your end product, since Cypress has already implemented gateway node protocols for you..

Here mesh_gateway_proxy is the application that you can use in the BT side of the gateway node. But you need to develop the host side code and also WiFi implementation.

BLE mesh Gateway node consist of BT (which will communicate with mesh network) as well as WiFi (enable to get a gateway access) portions (non-bt).  Also your host should be able to communicate with the BT chip with proper commands (HCI commands).

The mesh packet that you are getting on the gateway node through WiFi will be pushed to the BT side as coded in the host and BT side will communicate to the remaining nodes in the mesh network.

If you are planning to use Rpi (zero), I afraid you will have to develop the entire mesh stack. 

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

Thanks Dheeraj.

I think Rpi is ruled out.

I liked the idea 'Here mesh_gateway_proxy is the application that you can use in the BT side of the gateway node. But you need to develop the host side code and also WiFi implementation'.

Thanks,

Naveen

0 Likes

Hi Naveen,

mesh_gateway_proxy app is developed to work with the Cypress devices.

As I said, cypress has already developed the 'mesh IOT gateway' (BT, WiFi and host code) and it will be released in the next Mbed SDK release (https://www.cypress.com/products/modustoolbox-software-environment#tabs-0-bottom_side-5 ). Please stay tuned.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

NaB_2049561
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Thanks DheerajP_41​.

Any specific device I can try for this gateway. my requirement is BLE+Wifi+GSM. I will interface GSM externally.

Thanks,

Naveen

0 Likes