How do I program a BCM20736?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello community,

I wrote a program with the WICED Smart SDK and tested it with the BCM920737 Tag. After correcting my many errors it finally works.

Now I want to flash a BCM20736 which is not part of the Development Kit but on a board I designed. But every time I want to program it I get the error that the BCM920736/BCM920737 can't be found.

So, my question is: What do I have to do to flash a controller which is not on the Development Kit?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Here's some background that will help you along in this process as we do not provide any step by step instructions in this area, but many have accomplished the same using the information here on the community.

First off, the part MUST be programmed the first time using the HCI UART.  This UART MUST come up and be available within the "programming mode' (lots of threads on this subject). Most customers create some type of header on their board that can accomodate the HCI UART (Rx, Tx, PWR and GND), along with a means of assuring that the part either comes up in programming mode or can accomodate being manually placed into programming mode.

Once you have the above HW changes made, you will then need to understand that in order to program the device through the HCI UART, a proprietary protocol is used which is lincluding within the "loader" executable that is part of the SDK and the command line tools described here: Programming the 20732S MODULE USING 2073xTAG Board

In this thread I go into a great level of detail as to how this 'programming' process takes place at a SW level: Re: Production Programming of  BCM20737S

Now in order to attach the PC running the SDK/Command Line Tools to your board with the designated header, you will need some form of USB to serial programming cable.  For this, we highly recommend using the FTDI 3.3V cable jcardona describes here: Re: BCM20736S recovery problem - SDA high does not enter recovery mode

These two threads also discuss this process:

Re: BCM20737S flashing process

Information: Programming your BCM20732S-based board from an onboard UART header

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I've forgotten to say: I want to program it via the UART-Interface...

0 Likes

Here's some background that will help you along in this process as we do not provide any step by step instructions in this area, but many have accomplished the same using the information here on the community.

First off, the part MUST be programmed the first time using the HCI UART.  This UART MUST come up and be available within the "programming mode' (lots of threads on this subject). Most customers create some type of header on their board that can accomodate the HCI UART (Rx, Tx, PWR and GND), along with a means of assuring that the part either comes up in programming mode or can accomodate being manually placed into programming mode.

Once you have the above HW changes made, you will then need to understand that in order to program the device through the HCI UART, a proprietary protocol is used which is lincluding within the "loader" executable that is part of the SDK and the command line tools described here: Programming the 20732S MODULE USING 2073xTAG Board

In this thread I go into a great level of detail as to how this 'programming' process takes place at a SW level: Re: Production Programming of  BCM20737S

Now in order to attach the PC running the SDK/Command Line Tools to your board with the designated header, you will need some form of USB to serial programming cable.  For this, we highly recommend using the FTDI 3.3V cable jcardona describes here: Re: BCM20736S recovery problem - SDA high does not enter recovery mode

These two threads also discuss this process:

Re: BCM20737S flashing process

Information: Programming your BCM20732S-based board from an onboard UART header

0 Likes