Fine Timer and Sleep Current in a Central Role

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BoCo_1857246
Level 4
Level 4
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 10 questions asked

As discussed here [20736]Fine timer fires during sleep ? using the Fine Timer significantly increases the current consumption of the 20736/737 during sleep, as the timer can't truly be disabled or killed. As also discussed here Turning off the timers in BCM20736S and here Re: FineTimer the bt_clock_based timer is a good alternative to the fine timer. Using the bt_clock_timer reduces my sleep current consumption to close to spec.

However, now I've started implementing a master/slave scenario as described here Testing Master and Slave Roles

I am finding that the master does not hold connections very long (or sometimes at all) when I'm using the bt_clock_timer. If I revert to using the Fine Timer for my application-specific routines, then the master/slave works flawlessly but then I'm back to consuming significant current during sleep.

Have the software development team put any thought into allowing the Fine Timer to be truly disabled during sleep (or even to make the timer period modifiable at run-time), so that current consumption is reduced?

I'm going to dissect my application routines and examine the timing, to see what I can do to make the bt_clock_timer more stable in the central role, but there may not be much I can do there. Are there any other thoughts on what I can do to balance my need for stability Vs sleep current?

0 Likes
1 Solution
7 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

We will need to work with the developers on this one, so it may take us a few days to get back to you.

andrew997 arvinds

0 Likes

Just wondering if the developers responded?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bobcat,

Sorry for the delay, this question is in his queue and he'll answer as soon as possible.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello R C,

We should provide a fix in the next release of the SDK 2.2.2 - No ETA on this yet.

JT

Anonymous
Not applicable

This looks like it would be very useful in our application also.  We are using Fine timer of 200 msec and power consumption appears higher than expected, or in any case we are struggling for longer battery life.

Eric H.

0 Likes

I see that 2.2.2 is now released. Did this feature (allowing fine timer to be truly disabled during sleep) make it into 2.2.2? If so, what's the procedure for disabling the fine timer during sleep?

thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes