ESD on module BCM20737S

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is it possible to find electrical specification ESD about BCM20737S module?

I'm executing ESD tests and I would like to understand what limits and precautions are necessary.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I am in the process of adding the following ESD section to the datasheets of the BCM2732/36/37 SoCs (thanks again to nsankar​ for helping me pull this together):

ESD Test Models

ESD can have serious detrimental effects on all semiconductor ICs and the system that contains them.

Standards are developed to enhance the quality and reliability of ICs by ensuring all devices employed have

undergone proper ESD design and testing, thereby minimizing the detrimental effects of ESD. Three major test

methods are widely used in the industry today to describe uniform methods for assessing ESD immunity at

Component level, Human Body Model (HBM), Machine Model (MM), and Charged Device Model (CDM). The

following standards were used to test this device:

Human-Body Model (HBM) – ANSI/ESDA/JEDEC JS-001-2012

The HBM has been developed to simulate the action of a human body discharging an accumulated static charge

through a device to ground, and employs a series RC network consisting of a 100 pF capacitor and a 1500Ω

(Ohm) resistor. Both positive and negative polarities are used for this test. Although, a 100 ms delay is allowable

per specification, the minimum delay used for testing was set to 300 ms between each pulse.

Machine Model (MM) – JEDEC JESD22-A115C

The MM has been developed to simulate the rapid discharge from a charged conductive object, such as a

metallic tool or fixture. The most common application would be rapid discharge from charged board assembly

or the charged cables of automated testers. This model consists of a 200 pF capacitor discharged directly into

a component with no series resistor (0Ω). One positive and one negative polarity pulses are applied. The

minimum delay between pulses is 500 ms.

Charged-Device Model (CDM) - JEDEC JESD22-C101E

CDM simulates charging/discharging events that occur in production equipment and processes. The potential

for a CDM ESD events occurs when there is metal-to-metal contact in manufacturing. CDM addresses the

possibility that a charge may reside on the lead frame or package (e.g., from shipping) and discharge through

a pin that subsequently is grounded, causing damage to sensitive devices in the path. Discharge current is

limited only by the parasitic impedance and capacitance of the device. CDM testing consists of charging

package to a specified voltage, then discharging the voltage through relevant package leads. One positive and

one negative polarity pulse is applied. The minimum delay between pulses is 200 ms.

Results Summary

• ESD Test Voltage Level Results:
    • HBM +/– 2KV PASS
    • MM +/– 150V PASS
    • CDM +/– 500V PASS

These should be published to the site within the next few days by gewing

david_armour

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I read this document, but I didn't find any reference about ESD, ESD protection on pins, etc... 

0 Likes

We will need to check internally to see if this level of detail is available.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news?

0 Likes

I am in the process of adding the following ESD section to the datasheets of the BCM2732/36/37 SoCs (thanks again to nsankar​ for helping me pull this together):

ESD Test Models

ESD can have serious detrimental effects on all semiconductor ICs and the system that contains them.

Standards are developed to enhance the quality and reliability of ICs by ensuring all devices employed have

undergone proper ESD design and testing, thereby minimizing the detrimental effects of ESD. Three major test

methods are widely used in the industry today to describe uniform methods for assessing ESD immunity at

Component level, Human Body Model (HBM), Machine Model (MM), and Charged Device Model (CDM). The

following standards were used to test this device:

Human-Body Model (HBM) – ANSI/ESDA/JEDEC JS-001-2012

The HBM has been developed to simulate the action of a human body discharging an accumulated static charge

through a device to ground, and employs a series RC network consisting of a 100 pF capacitor and a 1500Ω

(Ohm) resistor. Both positive and negative polarities are used for this test. Although, a 100 ms delay is allowable

per specification, the minimum delay used for testing was set to 300 ms between each pulse.

Machine Model (MM) – JEDEC JESD22-A115C

The MM has been developed to simulate the rapid discharge from a charged conductive object, such as a

metallic tool or fixture. The most common application would be rapid discharge from charged board assembly

or the charged cables of automated testers. This model consists of a 200 pF capacitor discharged directly into

a component with no series resistor (0Ω). One positive and one negative polarity pulses are applied. The

minimum delay between pulses is 500 ms.

Charged-Device Model (CDM) - JEDEC JESD22-C101E

CDM simulates charging/discharging events that occur in production equipment and processes. The potential

for a CDM ESD events occurs when there is metal-to-metal contact in manufacturing. CDM addresses the

possibility that a charge may reside on the lead frame or package (e.g., from shipping) and discharge through

a pin that subsequently is grounded, causing damage to sensitive devices in the path. Discharge current is

limited only by the parasitic impedance and capacitance of the device. CDM testing consists of charging

package to a specified voltage, then discharging the voltage through relevant package leads. One positive and

one negative polarity pulse is applied. The minimum delay between pulses is 200 ms.

Results Summary

• ESD Test Voltage Level Results:
    • HBM +/– 2KV PASS
    • MM +/– 150V PASS
    • CDM +/– 500V PASS

These should be published to the site within the next few days by gewing

david_armour

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I understand why I have problem with ESD test (IEC 61000-4-2 standard).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for posting the clear summary, this will be helpful for many customers designs.

Regards

Dave

0 Likes