Bluetooth 4.2 Standard Support for Classic and Low Energy

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any support for Bluetooth standard 4.2 in both classic and low energy modes?

Do you have plans to upgrade the BCM4343 to support Bluetooth standard 4.2 and what are the time scales.

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I'm not aware of any plans to upgrade the BCM4343W to support BT 4.2

However, the BCM20719 and BCM20706 (Both are SmartReady) will support the standard.

Both are supported in WICED Studio now, but hardware and docs for development will not be available in the broad market till sometime in Q1'17?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I'm not aware of any plans to upgrade the BCM4343W to support BT 4.2

However, the BCM20719 and BCM20706 (Both are SmartReady) will support the standard.

Both are supported in WICED Studio now, but hardware and docs for development will not be available in the broad market till sometime in Q1'17?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer. We require classic as well as BLE so I think the BCM20706 is the one we would need. Is there any development we could do now? I see the BCM20706 and datasheet is available on Digikey. Could we wire it up to our host microcontroller, load the stack into the BCM20706 and communicate with it?

We also need a Wi-Fi solution. Do you have any pre-certified modules with the stacks?

0 Likes

We have certified Combo modules with stacks, but none available today which are certified for BT 4.2

There is a complete list here in the IoT Solutions Guide

Unfortunately, I don't see how development would be possible without a development board.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We could make a board to take the connections from the CYW20706 to pads that we can hand solder. We could then wire power, antenna (through 50 ohm mictostrip of coax), UART and anything else we need. Then if the stacks and tools to load them are ready we could program the board and start testing.

Are timescales are short. We are looking at replacing the Bluetooth module we have in an existing product with a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 dual module. I have not found any modules available so am now looking at a chip for Bluetooth and doing the certifications ourselves, and a module for Wi-Fi. Are volumes are quite high at about 50K per annum.

Maybe it would help if I introduce myself. I work for Spire payments Ltd. We design mobile payment terminals ourselves and also in partnership with our technology investor Newland Computers.

0 Likes

BCM20706 based evaluation boards should be available in Q1'17

Please make sure you are also working with the local Cypress Sales and Distribution team.

0 Likes