BCM20736S setup with external MicroController

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick sanity-check question.

I'm looking to add the BCM20736S to an existing micro-controller solution. The micro-controller already gets the numbers I want, I just want to get the numbers sent to the BCM20736S so another device will be able to read them via BTLE.

I was thinking I could connect the BCM20736S so that it could:

1. communicate with micro-controller over the PUART
  2. communicate with micro-controller using SPI
  3. be programmed with the SDK using the HCI UART

Could someone let me know if those things are at least possible? Originally I thought I could use the HCI UART as the primary interface between micro-controller & BCM20736S but now I suspect that's not possible?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The latter is correct.  Smart Designer essentially sets up the GPIO needed within the application to leverage the SPI and UART onboard the BCM2073XS. It does provide the driver code needed to access those resources externally from your MCU.

Have you been through the 30 minute video that j.t put together here: WICED Smart Video BLOG: SDK 2.1 Smart Designer Tool Walk-Thru

Pay particular attention to the "To-Do" items that he mentions because while Smart Designer does automate some of the building of the code for you in the area of GATT DB creation and GPIO setup, there are still several things ("To-Do") that you will need to code yourself.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShawnA_01
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Your assumptions are valid.  Refer to the WICED™ Smart Hardware Interfaces document on how these interfaces are programmed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that confirmation.

Another quick question: when using the smart designer & I check the "SPI" & "UART" boxes, am I asking the designer to provide code to give access to those on chip resources or, am I asking the designer to generate code that permits BTLE services that gives access to those resources?

0 Likes

The latter is correct.  Smart Designer essentially sets up the GPIO needed within the application to leverage the SPI and UART onboard the BCM2073XS. It does provide the driver code needed to access those resources externally from your MCU.

Have you been through the 30 minute video that j.t put together here: WICED Smart Video BLOG: SDK 2.1 Smart Designer Tool Walk-Thru

Pay particular attention to the "To-Do" items that he mentions because while Smart Designer does automate some of the building of the code for you in the area of GATT DB creation and GPIO setup, there are still several things ("To-Do") that you will need to code yourself.

0 Likes