BCM20736 into end product: certification steps for CE marking

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I'd like to approach a new project to develop an end product based on BCM20736 chipset. The device would be battery operated with integral antenna.

What would be the necessary procedure to get conformance based on R&TTE 1999/05/EC directive and mark the device with CE logo?

Should I undergo the final product to a complete evaluation and testing based on EN 300 328 or there is some documentation on the BCM20736 which I can integrate to simplify the certification procedure?

Or being the BCM20736 compliant to some SIG profiles (based on BT 4.1 specification) will simplify the conformance assessment?

I suppose there would be anyway the need to get from SIG the ID declaration (and this will both require the fee payment and also to re-do testing and qualifications related to BT specs to get the SIG assessment and use the BT logo). Am I right? Could anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Leveraging our existing regulatory (described above) only applies to the SIP module, not the SoC.  For the SoC, you will be responsible for the entire regulatory process from scratch.

However, for the BT Sig/Bluetooth Certification, I believe you can leverage our existing BT 4.1 certification as defined in the process linked to above.

Specifically, QDID 61027 can be leveraged for BT 4.1 (Component).

nsankar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Note that our module already has an integrated antenna and the regulatory that we have already completed, that customers can leverage, is based on the use of this module with the integrated antenna.

Also note that regulatory and Bluetooth Sig certifications are different topics.

For regulatory, you will want to start here: Broadcom BCM20732S/BCM20736S/BCM20737S Regulatory Approvals

For Bluetooth, start here: Do I need to register separately with the Bluetooth SIG to use the Bluetooth logo in my product?

It is important to understand that there are specific regulatory requirements imposed by regulatory authorities around the world on radio devices. Customers using Broadcom SIP modules are advised to engage with an accredited test lab to determine the overall system level regulatory requirements. Customers may be able to leverage Broadcom's regulatory test reports. Please discuss the process with your test lab, such as FCC ID transfers. Broadcom can provide authorizations as needed per the process outlined in this document.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. But my question are addrressing the use of BCM376 chipset, not the BCM736S module because I have the need for a custom antenna solution having strict mechanical constraints. What's about the BCM736 chipset? Thanks.

0 Likes

Leveraging our existing regulatory (described above) only applies to the SIP module, not the SoC.  For the SoC, you will be responsible for the entire regulatory process from scratch.

However, for the BT Sig/Bluetooth Certification, I believe you can leverage our existing BT 4.1 certification as defined in the process linked to above.

Specifically, QDID 61027 can be leveraged for BT 4.1 (Component).

nsankar

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

ifelice

I thought you might be interested in a webinar we are hosting on May 3rd that covers Regulatory Testing topics specific to Broadcom BT/Wi-Fi based modules...

Webinar on May 3rd: Regulatory Testing topics specific to Broadcom BT/Wi-Fi based modules...

0 Likes