20736E issues

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are using a 20736E chip instead of 20732S, as I know 20736E is pin to pin with 20732s, have he option of using external antenna, does it mean it stil has internal antenna inside the chip? Can we get its datasheet for checking?

1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I am not aware of a datasheet for the BCM20736E.

Essentially, the only difference between BCM20736E and the BCM20732S/20736S and BCM20737S is that pin 10 is NOT connected to an onboard antenna (there is no onboard antenna on this model).

In addition, our existing regulatory approvals are not available for this module either as customers will need to do their own regulatory with this part.

boont

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Yes, you are right that the 20736E module has an external antenna. You may get the data sheet from your module supplier.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it hasn't include a internal antenna inside. we are using this chip instead of 20736s by mistaken, and no keep external antenna in our board, what shall we do. Any other way to make compensation for it?

Which pin of it is the RF input/output?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best option is to send the PCB back to the assembler and have them remove the 20736E and place a 20736S.

(If you don't have an assembler you could look into a hot air rework station like this: Kendal 2 In 1 Smart Hot Air Rework Soldering Iron Station 898D+ - - Amazon.com)

You could google how to make 2.4Ghz antennas that you could hypothetically solder to the pad attached to the QFN pin. This is very sketchy and even if you can solder that well or have a tech it might not work because you are missing the Pi filter (Capacitor-input filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)) and other RF sub-circuitry.

I haven't looked at the datasheet for the 20736E but this is typical for RF.

Best of luck!

BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Where are you located? Let's try to get the local representative to help you.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thanks.

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I am not aware of a datasheet for the BCM20736E.

Essentially, the only difference between BCM20736E and the BCM20732S/20736S and BCM20737S is that pin 10 is NOT connected to an onboard antenna (there is no onboard antenna on this model).

In addition, our existing regulatory approvals are not available for this module either as customers will need to do their own regulatory with this part.

boont

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for your reply, a rework for extenal antenna connecting will be done for us.

0 Likes