regarding selection of multi i2c pins

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AMRA_4710126
Level 1
Level 1

I am using CYUSB3014-BZXI on our board. The assigned i2c pins (58,59) are used for eeprom for booting purposes. But I need another set of i2c pins for programming the other component (LED driver). Can we use GPIO pins as I2C pins? Can we select the pins randomly? which pins are supporting i2c configuration? If so, do we need any further programming to enable GPIO pins as I2C pins? it is highly appreciated if you try to help me.

0 Likes
1 Solution
YatheeshD_36
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

You can use the same I2C lines of FX3 to connect to other I2C slave devices(LED driver) as well. The FX3 Device will use specific slave addresses for accessing the EEPROM during I2C boot up. Since the I2C address of the devices (EEPROM and LED driver) are different, this will not cause any issues.

In the firmware, the I2C interface needs to be enabled using the CyU3PDeviceConfigureIOMatrix API and Initialized using the CyU3PI2cInit API before using the interface.

Please refer to the USBI2CDmaMode example in the FX3 DVK package for better understanding.

We do not have any examples where GPIOs are used a I2C lines by bit-banging.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
YatheeshD_36
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

You can use the same I2C lines of FX3 to connect to other I2C slave devices(LED driver) as well. The FX3 Device will use specific slave addresses for accessing the EEPROM during I2C boot up. Since the I2C address of the devices (EEPROM and LED driver) are different, this will not cause any issues.

In the firmware, the I2C interface needs to be enabled using the CyU3PDeviceConfigureIOMatrix API and Initialized using the CyU3PI2cInit API before using the interface.

Please refer to the USBI2CDmaMode example in the FX3 DVK package for better understanding.

We do not have any examples where GPIOs are used a I2C lines by bit-banging.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

0 Likes