fx3 minimum complex gpio PWM period bug

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SaGi_4116301
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hello,

I am using the EZ USB FX3 board to build an interface to an external device that requires an approx. 100MHz clock and puts out a serial 100MHz serial output data stream.

In order to make the interface work, I need the FX3 to generate 2 approx. 100MHz output clocks, with adjustable phase difference.

I use the FX3 PCLK as a master clock running at approx 100MHz. That works fine.

Now I want to generate a second output clock signal, at the same frequency, but with controllable phase shift w.r.t. PCLK by using an FX3 internal DLL (delay locked loop).

I managed to generate the 2nd clock signal on a GPIO pin by using complex gpio, in PWM mode, and setting period and duty cycle with period and threshold ticks.

I am also able to change its phase with respect to the PCLK by using an FX3 DLL.

However, it seems that PWM period settings smaller than 8 have no effect on the period of the PWM signal. I was not able to get a 100MHz gpio complex output signal,

also not by decreasing fast clock div value. At best I got approx. 25MHz.

I found out that this was confirmed in one of the entries in the developer community as a bug in the FX3 chip with PWM period settings smaller than 8.

I have a few questions:

- are there (newer) versions of the FX3 where this minimal PWM period bug has been fixed?

- are there alternative ways, other than complex gpio, that allow for generating 2 100MHz output clocks with adjustable phase relation?

I did read about the SDIO interface with S0 & S1 ports that talk about the ability to generate 100MHz clocks, and with a seperate DLL, which is "recommended not to use"

in the technical manual. Is it possible to use these to generate a steady 100MHz clock with adjustable phase, without actually implementing a full SDIO interface?

Any help is appreciated,

Best regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

Using PWM we can get close to 50MHz. We cannot generate 100MHz clock on two FX3 pins.

SDIO CLK is part of the SDIO protocol and that pin cannot be used independently to generate the 100MHz clock.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

Using PWM we can get close to 50MHz. We cannot generate 100MHz clock on two FX3 pins.

SDIO CLK is part of the SDIO protocol and that pin cannot be used independently to generate the 100MHz clock.

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes