fx3 jtag debug tiny-H

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
shovalk
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

hello all.

I'm a newbie so my question might sound trivial.

I'm trying to get my ARM-USB-TINY-H to debug through jtag a cypress FX3 on a custom board.

I've succeeded to flash out an example to the FX3 using the USB3 connection, but it doesn't have debug capabilities.

can anyone point me to the right direction on how to get it to work?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello,

Please confirm if you have replaced the OpenOCD binary with the a version that is supported by ARM-USB-TINY-H.

As per the EzUSBSuite_UG

A version of OpenOCD binary that supports debugging using the CY7C65215 part is provided with the FX3 SDK, under the OpenOCD folder. This binary is based on the OpenOCD 0.8.0 release and only supports the CY7C65215 part as a debug interface.
If any other OpenOCD compliant debug probe (such as the Olimex ARM JTAG debug probe) is being used, replace the OpenOCD binary provided with a version that supports the target debug probe. The rest of the instructions are interface independent, and apply to any OpenOCD compliant debug probe.

Please refer to the links provided in EzUSBSuite_UG.pdf

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Any of the standard JTAG debug probes (such as  J-Link /OpenOCD) can be used to do run-time debugging of the FX3 firmware.

As per my understanding, Olimex Arm-USB-TINY-H probe supports OpenOCD. Is my understanding correct?  If yes, you can refer to section 3.2 of EzUSBSuite_UG of the SDK for debugging steps using Open OCD.

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
shovalk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

so i tried the exact configurations as EzUSBSuite_UG 3.2, i dont have any errors as i press "Debug" (normally it gives a - "Error in services launch sequence" error), i starts the green loading bar, but when it hits 62% it just stops there and not loading anymore (no error is shown).

can you please advise? 

0 Likes
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Please let me know if you are using the EzUSBSuite from the latest SDK 1.3.4

Also, share the configuration snippets for us to check

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi,

sorry for the ignorance, but i couldnt figure out how to find the SDK version - though im sure im using 1.3.X.

attached the debuging configuration.

the configuration file is :

#
# OpenOCD configuration file for Cypress FX3 (ARM926EJ-S).
#
# FX3 has a standard ARM JTAG TAP and can work with a standard ARM926EJ-S configuration.
#
# The interface selected below is the CY7C65215 based JTAG debug probe. If another
# debug probe is being used, just replace the "interface cy7c65215" line with the
# appropriate interface name.
#

gdb_port 3333
interface ftdi

######################################
# Target: CYPRESS FX3 ARM926EJ-S
######################################

if { [info exists CHIPNAME] } {
set _CHIPNAME $CHIPNAME
} else {
set _CHIPNAME fx3
}

if { [info exists ENDIAN] } {
set _ENDIAN $ENDIAN
} else {
set _ENDIAN little
}

if { [info exists CPUTAPID] } {
set _CPUTAPID $CPUTAPID
} else {
set _CPUTAPID 0x07926069
}

#delays on reset lines
adapter_nsrst_delay 200
jtag_ntrst_delay 200

adapter_khz 1000

reset_config trst_and_srst srst_pulls_trst

jtag newtap $_CHIPNAME cpu -irlen 4 -ircapture 0x1 -irmask 0xf -expected-id $_CPUTAPID

jtag_rclk 3

######################
# Target configuration
######################

set _TARGETNAME $_CHIPNAME.cpu
target create $_TARGETNAME arm926ejs -endian $_ENDIAN -chain-position $_TARGETNAME -variant arm926ejs

adapter_khz 1000

################################################3

thank you very much for your help.

0 Likes
lock attach
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

The SDK version can be checked from the build variable of the project settings (refer the attachment)

From the snippets, I observed that in the Debugger Tab > "GDB Client Setup" > Executable, is changed. Please refer to EzUSBSuite_UG and change it default setting - ${cross_prefix}gdb{cross_suffix}. If you get an error of gdb --version, please change the {cross_prefix} variable must be set to arm-none-eabi- 

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

hello and thank you for your reply.

i am using SDK 1.3.4.

i tried as instructed, i have error : arm-none-eabi- gdb{cross_suffix} --version.

also i have --version error with the default ${cross_prefix}gdb{cross_suffix}.

please advise.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

  

0 Likes
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Please replace the following in the executable field and let me know the results

$arm-none-eabi- gdb{cross_suffix}

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
lock attach

Hello Rashi,

i still get the --version error.

attached.

please advise.

0 Likes
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Can you please delete the current debug configuration and create a new configuration by following the steps and use the settings as mentioned in the EzUSBSuite_UG.

Please share the results and the Debug configuration snippets if error is seen again.

Please do not change the default settings of Debugger Tab > "GDB Client Setup" > Executable.

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
lock attach
shovalk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i tried as you instructed.

deleted the debug configuration and created a new one according to EzUSBSuite_UG.

it is not working , attached are snippets of everything I've done.

please advise.

0 Likes
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Please confirm if you have replaced the OpenOCD binary with the a version that is supported by ARM-USB-TINY-H.

As per the EzUSBSuite_UG

A version of OpenOCD binary that supports debugging using the CY7C65215 part is provided with the FX3 SDK, under the OpenOCD folder. This binary is based on the OpenOCD 0.8.0 release and only supports the CY7C65215 part as a debug interface.
If any other OpenOCD compliant debug probe (such as the Olimex ARM JTAG debug probe) is being used, replace the OpenOCD binary provided with a version that supports the target debug probe. The rest of the instructions are interface independent, and apply to any OpenOCD compliant debug probe.

Please refer to the links provided in EzUSBSuite_UG.pdf

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes