Unable to program the FX3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are running into issues with being unable to program the FX3 chip with the .img files using the Cypress Control Center tool. Is there another way to be able to program the Cypress device? We are able to get to this point, but no further with the example projects if we cannot program the FX3 right now.

0 Likes
7 Replies
danif_
Employee
Employee

hi parshu,

The beta1 version of USB3 control center does support dowloading boot image into FX3 RAM. Im assuming that you are setting the device to boot from USB using the PMODE pins.

Can you please tell me what error you see while trying to download ? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Max08,

When I try to program the USB 3.0 FX3 through the Cy Control centre, I see the below line...

"Programming RAM of Cypress USB FX3 Boot loader" and then I see " Programming failed".

Is there any other way of programming the Cypress chip ?

Thanks,

Parshu

0 Likes
danif_
Employee
Employee

Hi,

We tested this on multiple machines, OS'es and with different firmware images, and do not see such a failure.

Are you using one of our firmware samples ? If not could you send us the firmware image you are using?

Also is it possible to send us a usb trace of the failure?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Max08,

We had a bad hardware.

Regards,

Parshu

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am using the FX3 DVK Device Board Rev2.

One problem is that sometimes the device could not be detected by the OS and does not occur in the device manager.

The other problem is that sometimes the programming of the device fails using the cypress controlcenter.

I tested with Win 7 x64 and with XP x86 and different machines. After starting the PC everything works fine. But after programming the device for a couple of times and/or reconnecting the device programming failes or the device does not occur in the deivce manager.

What could be wrong? This seems to a problem of the reference design of the FX3 DVK Device Board Rev2?

regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I do face a similar problem with the Rev 1 board. I need to toggle the switch a couple of times for the FX3 to get detected in device manager. But never got any programming issues after it gets detected. However please not that the message 'programming failed' is a bug in the 'cycenter tool. Even if the programming is successful, this message is shown in the Cycenter tool.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found that the May 11 board often behaves at odds with program fail/succeed message.  Generally, if it succeeds, then the program will just be the boot loader, but if it fails, then it has the correct code.

0 Likes