USB 3.0 is not able to detect CYUSB3014 after download img file

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
XiLu_4121146
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,The PMODE[2:0] pin is Z11(USB boot):can find bootload on PC.

But after I download the img file to the USB RAM,PC can't find usb device.I check the clock,voltage are OK.Is CYUSB3014 chip has system on chip?I buy chip from device vendor.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Xibao,

The USB boot-loader of FX3 uses only the USB DP/DM lines for downloading the IMG file into the FX3 SRAM. The SuperSpeed lines do not come into picture before loading the firmware.

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
37 Replies
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

- Please mention what firmware you have loaded into the device over the USB. Is it any of the examples that come as part of the FX3 SDK or is it your custom firmware?

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes
XiLu_4121146
Level 3
Level 3

I use control center download USBVideoClass.img.

0 Likes

Hello,

In this case, the device enumerates as a UVC class device and will not be visible in the Control Center. Please view the device manager to check if the FX3 device has enumerated under the "Camera"/"Imaging Devices" section.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes
XiLu_4121146
Level 3
Level 3

Download successed.But the chip doesn't restart.PC don't reflush the device.I use Device Monitoring Studio to check error,no error.

0 Likes

Hello,

- Please share the firmware image that you are using. In case it is different from the project that is available as part of the FX3 SDK, please share the firmware source.

- Also, please mention if the "Cypress FX3 Boot Loader Device" disappears from the device manager or not.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

These images are Device Monitoring Studio check usb data .No error.After download img file succeeded,the device doesn't refresh.

Device Monitoring Studio-01.png

Device Monitoring Studio-02.png

0 Likes

Hello,

Please share the firmware source and the IMG file.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi,I upload the img file and project.Thank you.

0 Likes

Hello,

You earlier mentioned it was USBVideoClass.img file but the attachment shows it as SlaveFifoSync.img. Can you please check if you have shared the correct firmware files?

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

I use both of the USBVideoClass.img and SlaveFifoSync.img try don't work.I have SlaveFifoSync img and project.I only have USBVideoClass.img file no code and project. Sorry.They have the same result.So I send the SlaveFifoSync file.

0 Likes

Need I download USBVideoClass code and project? I received an email from Cypress.I will read the 《AN70707 - EZ-USB®FX3/FX3 HARDWARE DESIGN GUIDELINES AND SCHEMATIC CHECKLIST》 doc.

0 Likes

Hello,

In case you are designing a custom hardware and not the Cypress provided kits, please ensure that you have followed the guidelines mentioned in the AN70707. The firmware file that you have shared works fine on the FX3 SuperSpeed Explorer Kit.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi ,I check the sch and pcb of the design.All are in the rule of AN70707.I use BUS HOUND check the device.I remove ESD chip.It

seems that after download the file the chip doesn't restart.I tested the passive crystal vibration 19.2MHz clk.It's seem OK.

usb3.0-bus hound抓数0327.jpg

USB3.0-19.2M晶振测试图片-0325.jpg

0 Likes

Hello,

- From these latest images, it looks like "Cypress FX3 USB Bootloader Device" stays even after the programming shows succeeded. Kindly, confirm if this is the behavior.

- Please load any of the FX3 SDK example firmware image to the device and check if the re-enumeration is fine.

- In case your design uses the UART block, please use it to capture the debug logs and share the same.

- If possible, collect the USB traces using a hardware protocol analyzer and share the same.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,After I download img file ,"Cypress FX3 USB Bootloader Device"  dissapperd.Control  Center  remain last time program succeeded.

0 Likes

I use cyfxbulksrcsink code rebuild usbbulksrcsink.img .Download the file the chip seems doesn't re-enumeration.How can I make sure the chip work well? I doubt that the chip some stone is damage.

0 Likes

Hello,

Please provide the below information asked in the previous interaction.

- In case your design uses the UART block, please use it to capture the debug logs and share the same.

- If possible, collect the USB traces using a hardware protocol analyzer and share the same.

Also, please let me know the following.

- Does this issue occur across different boards, different host controllers or is it specific to any particular setup?

- If your board has got other firmware boot options such as I2C/SPI, please try to boot from that and check for the device behavior.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,

- I don't know how do you find out that  I use UART block.In fact I didn't use UART block.If you find please tell me,I will check out.Thank you. (From bus hound data?)

- I use other firmware boot such as I2C/SPI, the PMODE mode is right,but control center says" Cypress Boot Programmer Device Not Found".The bootload diappeared at the same time.

EEPROM:24LC256-I/SN

SPI FLASH: M25P40-AVMN6TP   

- I have five test board by this time .They have the same questiones.

0 Likes

Hi,

You mean I use SPI/UART  signal.I use thest signals link up with SPI Flash.Can I use MOSI and MISO to print chip work information?usb3.0-uart说明-0328.jpg

0 Likes

Hi,

I have some tests.The device can recognition  if I replace ssrx± and sstx±.Does those signals transfer data during downloading img file?

0 Likes

Hello,

- Thanks for the update. The FX3 boot-loader runs in the USB2.0 mode which does not use the SSRX/SSTX lines. But, when you load a firmware, which has got a SuperSpeed capability, the device enumerates at SuperSpeed which uses the SSTX/SSRX lines.

- The proper connection of the SuperSpeed lines is that the SSTX lines of the device should get connected to the SSRX lines of the host and vice versa. When a SuperSpeed USB cable is used between the host and the device, this cross connection is taken care by the cable and hence, the SSTX lines from the connector on the device PCB can be connected to the SSTX lines of the device and vice versa. When a cable is not used, the cross connection of SSTX and SSRX lines have to be taken care of. So, in your application design, I understand that you do not use a cable based connection. Upon looking at the schematic (that was shared over private message), I find that you have used an A-type connector which also suggests that you are not using a cable for connecting the device and the host.

- Please modify the PCB design such that the SSTX and SSRX lines of the device are connected to the SSRX and SSTX lines of the host respectively.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,

I can't understand "Upon looking at the schematic (that was shared over private message), I find that you have used an A-type connector which also suggests that you are not using a cable for connecting the device and the host.".I use cable connect PC download img files.The other board use the same sch have no problem.I shoudn't change ssrx± and sstx±.In fact,I change them was wrong in my opinion.But after I change it‘s work.It's amazing.I can't understand.

0 Likes

Hello,

- In the schematic that was shared, I found that you were using an A-type connector. Generally, devices use a B-type USB connector which gets connected to the A-type receptacle on the host. So, I assumed that you were connecting the device directly to the host without a cable.

- Do you mean to say that the failure is not consistent across all the boards?

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi

I know your meaning.The usb cable are straight wires.A type usb connector and B type usb connector have difference between ssrx± and sstx±.They has made a cross between lines.I should make replace between ssrx± and sstx± in my design,if I connect my A type USB connector to anthor host A type USB connector.(I used type B connector in my design, but because the reason of PCB size change for type A type connector. )

Best regards,

Xibao

0 Likes

Hello,

- Sorry, I am not clear with your explanation. Are you saying that you have used a type-A connector on the device to a type-A connector on the host connected through a special cable?

- Kindly, let me know if this issue is seen across multiple boards or is it specific to a few ICs. Initially, you have mentioned that the failure is seen on all the five boards that you have, later you mentioned that the issue is not seen on one of the other boards that uses the same schematic. Kindly, clarify.

- If this issue occurs only on a specific board(s), replace the FX3 IC on that board with another FX3 IC from a working board. Please let me know the observations as to whether the issue follows the IC or the board.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,Srinath S

Yes.I used a type-A connector on the device to a type-A connector on the host connected through a special cable.My own computer can found the bootload.I download the file to spi flash or I2C rom is ok now.But the control center can't find out the device.I have another problem is that I use another computer can't find out the fx3 device.I made the OTG_ID pin dangling or pull up to VCC.Little effect.(Circuit is through the design verification.)

Best regards,

usb3.0-识别出设备controlcenter未识别-0408.jpg

0 Likes

Hello,

- Use a firmware that is only USB2.0 capable (Modify the CyU3PConnectState() API to disable the SuperSpeed operation) and load into the device. Check if the device enumerates fine in USB2.0 or not.

Please refer to the schematic and layout guidelines from the AN70707 document. I find a few deviations in your schematics.

- Remove the pull-up resistors on the JTAG lines.

- Ensure that you have ferrite beads on the AVDD, U3TXVDD, U3RXVDD and CVDD pins.

- GPIF II lines need to have a 22-ohm series resistance.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,Srinath S

I try your suggest.The USB2.0 mode can't work after I  download img file.I download USBVideoClass img file.Some PC can found out FX3 camera device ,the other PC can't foud out.I check the PC usb host controller find that ASMedia USB 3.0 and ASMedia USB 3.1. Is it make difference?

usb3.0-烧写相机测试程序测试-0409.jpg

0 Likes

Hello,

- I understand that the ASMedia USB3.0 host controllers are able to identify the camera device whereas the ASMedia USB3.1 host controllers are not able to. Kindly, let me know if I am wrong.

- Have you tried on other PCs with Intel host controllers?

- On the failing PC, please capture the USB traces to know the requests being sent from the host.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,Srinath S:

I have a question.  which signals will I use when download img file ?I have a test shows that I only use DP/DM(usb 2.0 ) signals download img file on other developed board succeed.The computer can find out device after download img file.

Best regards,

Xibao 

0 Likes

Hello Xibao,

The USB boot-loader of FX3 uses only the USB DP/DM lines for downloading the IMG file into the FX3 SRAM. The SuperSpeed lines do not come into picture before loading the firmware.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,Srinath S,

Thank you very much.I tested five board.Only one of them can work after download img files,the other four can't work after download img files. I wil do some test next steps.I will only welding the chip on the board to check whether there is interference.

Best regards,

0 Likes

Hi,Srinath S

I have some tests.I found that it's lost some data during transmit data.What reason will affect the communication?   usb3.0 刚哥程序传数试验-0409 - 副本.jpg

Best regards,

0 Likes

Hello,

Please create a new thread as it is a different query. This will help improve the community search. Thanks!

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,Srinath S

OK.I know.I have another test.I follow your advice use only usb2.0 cable to download SlaveFifoSync.img on cyusb3014 ram mode,the device can't find anything after download files.the bootload can find when I power on the chip.Is it can cause the reason of difference PC can't find out the device?What may cause the failure of 2.0 mode boot?

0 Likes

Hi,Srinath S

I use 2.0 mode boot without SSRX± and SSTX± lines.I can't found device after I download img file.I catch the usb data.I found that the chip may send the wrong data  connection to PC cause the failures of communication.

usb3.0-2.0模式启动数据包抓取-0412.jpg

0 Likes