Slave FIFO loopback problems

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm working with the FX3 SuperSpeed Explorer Kit to try and send data to (and receive data from) an FPGA. I'm new to wkring with USB controllers, and I'm not really a sofware engineer, so I looked at AN65974, and I found that the LOOPBACK example works with my needs with a few edits. Using their loopback mode, I tried to separated the read and write sequences so they operate independently from each other but in such a way that the loopback function can still occur.

Working with a 100 MHz clock coming from the FPGA, I am trying to perform a loopback operation. I feel if I can implement the separation of the processes correctly, I can loop the data back normally. However, when I perform the loopback sequence, the data I receive is not the data I sent out. I'm working with a USB 2.0 connection, since I don't have access to a USB 3.0 port, and I'm sending 512 B of data out at one time. I'm not sure whether it is a firmware problem, but this also occurs with the original project posted by Cypress with their firmware. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

If it helps, according to Cypress, when initialized, the flags should be: FLAG A = FLAG B = HIGH, FLAG C = FLAG D = LOW.

However, Flag D, which is configured to be a DMA watermark flag for a thread, is HIGH. Could this cause problems with transfer accuracy?

0 Likes
6 Replies
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it helps, the GPIF II file that I uses uses a 32-bit bus length, and I pretty much just took the existing firmware and made modifications to it in the GPIF file. 

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

For one of our design, we want to use an FX3 and an FPGA to transfer data, in full duplex mode, between a PC and the FPGA. To test our configuration, I have linked a DE0-Nano board and an FX3 CYUSB3Kit-003 together.

I have used the FPGA code from the AN65974 (loopback) and modified the io assignment file to match our needs. I also have used the FX3 code from the same application note and changed CY_FX_SLFIFO_GPIF_16_32BIT_CONF_SELECT to 0, in order to match a 16 bits data bus length. A logic analyzer is hooked to the control signals (clock, slcs, slrd, slwr, sloe) and the status signals (flaga, flagb, flagc, flagd). The control signals seems correct but the flags are always stuck to '0'.

While using the USB Control Center, I was able to issue two write transfer from the USB to the FPGA. All the following transfers failed with the error code 997. I have the exact same error while trying to read fata from the FPGA to the USB.

Have you made some modifications in order to use the example code ?

Best regards,

Christophe

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

There is one more modification needed to be done in the firmware when using 16 bit GPIF. 

In the cyfxslfifosync.c file, between the CyU3PGpifLoad and CyU3PGpifSMStart APIs, modify the existing code as:

#if (CY_FX_SLFIFO_GPIF_16_32BIT_CONF_SELECT == 0)

CyU3PGpifSocketConfigure (0,CY_U3P_PIB_SOCKET_0,3,CyFalse,1);

CyU3PGpifSocketConfigure (3,CY_U3P_PIB_SOCKET_3,3,CyFalse,1);

#else if (CY_FX_SLFIFO_GPIF_16_32BIT_CONF_SELECT == 1)

CyU3PGpifSocketConfigure (0,CY_U3P_PIB_SOCKET_0,6,CyFalse,1);

CyU3PGpifSocketConfigure (3,CY_U3P_PIB_SOCKET_3,6,CyFalse,1);

#endif

This configures the watermark flags properly for 16 bit data bus designs. This code will be included in the next release of An65974

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately it doesn't work better with the patch you gave me. I will try to investigate further and post my progress.

Best regards,

Christophe

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Just to be sure:

* FLAGA and FLAGB are linked to thread 0. This thread is used for transferring data

from the FPGA to the USB

* FLAGC and FLAGD are related to thread 3. This thread is used for moving data

from USB to FPGA

According to the definition of these flags, we can deduce that:

* FLAGA is asserted (logic '0') when the fifo in the FX3 is full

* FLAGB is asserted (logic '0') when the fifo in the FX3 contains more data than the threshold

* FLAGC is asserted (logic '0') when the fifo in the FX3 is empty

* FLAGD is asserted (logic '0') when the fifo in the FX3 contains less data than the threshold

Assuming the SLCS signal is always set to '0', to be able to read the flags values during a

READ transfer, the address to use is "11" and the signal SLRD must be set to '0'. After two clock

cycles, the flags are updated to match the socket status.

In order to do the same in a WRITE transfer, the address to use is "00" and the signal SLWR must be set to '0'.

Three clock cycles after, the flags can be read to see whether data can be pushed to the FX3 or not.

Best regards,

Christophe

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Christine,

There should be atlease one clock cycle in which the address lines are 11 and SLRD is de-asserted (high). This leads to the IN_ADDR state where the address 11 is sampled. Only after this the flags for slaveread get updated and then you should assert SLRD (0) for starting the read.

Regards,

-Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes