Replace host controller with FX3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6
Distributor - TED (Japan)
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 250 replies posted

I am considering replacing the Renesas USB Host Controller with FX3.

R8A66597FP is mounted on the current board.

Code Example​ has an example of USB Host (cyfxusbhost).

Is it possible for this CE to replace the current device?

Thanks,

Tetsuo

0 Likes
1 Solution
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6

Rashi-san,

Thank you for your quick response.

Answer the following about your question:

- Application : A machine that manages a certain item (I'm so sorry that I don't want to give details here)

- Device class : HID/MSC (other than that is under consideration)

- EP : To be confirmed

- Type of transfers : Control / Bulk / Interrupt

And, other information:

- 1 port only

- Hub unused

- Power supply configuration can be changed

- No constraints on the package

Thanks,

Tetsuo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello Tetsuo san,

Please find the below comparison between the FX3 (as embedded host) and R8A66597FP

- The FX3 USB 2.0 embedded host is simpler than a full-featured PC-based controller. Embedded USB hosts are defined to support a limited peripheral list and to operate with limited memory.

- FX3 complies with the USB 2.0 standard for high-speed (480 Mbps), full-speed (12 Mbps), and low-speed (1.5 Mbps) functions same as R8A66597FP

- FX3 when configured as a USB 2.0 host supports only one USB port whereas R8A66597FP supports 2 USB ports. So, if in the application only one USB port is used then FX3 can be used

- FX3 as a USB host does not support a USB hub whereas R8A66597FP supports connecting a USB hub. If the device is directly connected to the host (without a USB hub in between) then FX3 can be used.

- FX3 supports 15 IN endpoints and 15 OUT endpoints in addition to control endpoint 0

- FX3's Core operations at 1.2 V whereas R8A66597FP functions at 1.5V. Please confirm if the existing board has all LDO's and the clock source required for FX3 (please refer to application note AN70707). Please confirm that all the hardware design guidelines mentioned in AN70707 are met to use FX3  in the design.

- The FX3 package is 121 BGA with 10x10mm (dimension) whereas R8A66597FP is 81 pin.

- cyfxusbhost example demonstrates the use of FX3 as a USB 2.0 single-port host. It supports simple HID-class and MSCclass devices. A directly-connected mouse enumerates and reports its relative position in a UART debug log. Similarly, a directly-connected USB mass storage device enumerates and reports its storage parameters.

Please refer to FX3 TRM for more details on FX3 as an embedded host https://www.cypress.com/documentation/technical-reference-manuals/ez-usb-fx3-technical-reference-man...

Question:

- Please let me know more about the application.

- Also, let me know the target peripheral (device class/ endpoints uses/type of transfers) that will be connected to FX3 (as Embedded host controller)

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6

Rashi-san,

Thank you for your quick response.

Answer the following about your question:

- Application : A machine that manages a certain item (I'm so sorry that I don't want to give details here)

- Device class : HID/MSC (other than that is under consideration)

- EP : To be confirmed

- Type of transfers : Control / Bulk / Interrupt

And, other information:

- 1 port only

- Hub unused

Thanks,

Tetsuo

0 Likes

Hello Tetsuo san,

Thank you for the update

FX3 (as embedded host) can support  Control / Bulk / Interrupt tranfers that are needed for your application and the cyfxusbhost is tested with HID and MSC devices

Please refer to this application note https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an77960-introduction-ez-usb-fx3-high-speed-u...

Note: The application has been mark obsolete because the FX3 DVK (CYUSB3KIT -001) is obsolete.

And, other information:

- 1 port only

- Hub unused

>> With this configuration FX3 can be used as an Embedded USB2.0 host controller

Please let me know if you have more queries on this

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6

Rashi-san,

Thank you for your support again.

I will continue to check.

Thanks,

Tetsuo

0 Likes
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6

Rashi-san,

I have another question.

If I use FX3 as a Host controller, can CYUSB2014 also use it?

Due to the heavy cost constraints, so I want to use the cheapest device possible.

The transfer type also used isochronous transfer. I think this is also supported by cyusbhost.

Thanks,

Tetsuo

0 Likes

Hello Tetsuo san,

Apologies for delayed response.

CYUSB2014 part of FX3 can be configured as USB 2.0 Host controller.

For the isochronous transfers, please refer to point 12 of the "Known Problems and Limitations of FX3 SDK 1.3.4 of FX3 SDK Release note (This problem is seen when FX3 is configured as Device). Similar problem can be seen when the FX3 is configured as Embedded Host.

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6

Rashi-san,

Thank you for your answer.