Metadata in CX3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ajmc_3522501
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like given

Hi,

I have some doubts regarding CX3 metadata.

1. Is metadata send along with video data bytes ( first "x" bytes of the RAW8 video stream) ?

2. When searching i found metadata associated with a datatype 0x12. What is the significance of this datatype.If it is embedded along with video data why use a different dataype?

3. If metadata is present, how can i view the data in a Host PC. Can i use stock UVC viewer?

4. What changes are needed in CX3 code to handle metadata ?

Thanks in advance

Ajay

0 Likes
1 Solution

Ajay,

Yes, modify the vertical resolution.

The MIPI checks the datatype ID and strips the data payload. It does not consider which data it is.

Therefore, CX3 considers both image and non image data as same, and send to the host.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Ajay,

1&2:

The data type ID 0x12  is given to Embedded 8-bit non Image Data by MIPI CSI-2 Spec.

As the name said, it is non image data. It can be at start of the frame and end of the frame.

The MIPI TX has a provision to send non image data along with video data. This is optional.

3&4. By default, the CX3 MIPI Receiver can receive this data and send it to the host. This cannot be changed.

So the host will receive non image data along with image data for every frame. You need remove it while display the image on the host side or you can set the MIPI Transmitter to not send this data.

You may refer the following threads https://community.cypress.com/message/169942#169942

Regards,

Sridhar

You answer that question na

0 Likes

Hi Sridhar,

We have configured our sensor to send one extra line of metadata information. Considering this new scenario, should we modify the CX3 resolutions? (Suppose if we have a resolution of 640*480, should we modify the CX3 resolution to 640*481 in the CX3 configuration tool?)

Since the CX3 DMA does not differentiate between video data and non-video data internally, how does the CX3 send this two types of the data to the host?

Regards

Ajay

0 Likes

Ajay,

Yes, modify the vertical resolution.

The MIPI checks the datatype ID and strips the data payload. It does not consider which data it is.

Therefore, CX3 considers both image and non image data as same, and send to the host.

0 Likes

OK. So the metadata would be received along with the video data.

I'll process it accordingly from the Host side.

Thanks for the help.

Ajay

0 Likes