How to upload the firmware in CX3, without the SDK EZ-USB Suit installed

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ArSa_3842301
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hi,

I am currently working in a project based on CX3. We have developed both an own hardware which embedded it, and a host application.

Our product works as a bridge between MIPI and USB protocols, in order to drive the pixel information from a CMOS Image Sensor to a host.
A complex softwere layer, inside the host, will run after it applying image processing algorithms.

After this overview, I want to explain my doubt. I have been working in both hardware and firmware layers, for this reason I have EZ-USB Suit
installed in my laptop, because I use it to complile the firmware image, which it will be store inside the embedded SPI-Flash memory in the PCB. So, as I have installed the EZ-USB Suite, my laptop has the cypress custom driver which achieve recognize the CX3 as Cypress USB BootLoader. Finally I store the firmware in our hardware design via Control Center tool.

But We need to update the firmware image in whatever laptor, including all of them which do not have the EZ-USB Suite installed. For this reason I would like to know which are the minimum necessary files (contemplated in the SDK EZ-USB Suite) that We need to add in our software layer in order to be able to upload the firmware, discarding the rest of the files of the SDK EZ-USB Suite.

Thanks so much.

0 Likes
1 Solution
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

As per my understanding, your requirement is that the host should detect the CX3 device as Bootloader device and then download the firmware to SPI flash connected to CX3. For this, you will need the following:

1. cyusb3 driver

2. CyUSB.dll, CyBootProgrammer.img and CyControlCenter. All of these can be found in the following location of FX3 SDK:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\bin

If you want to develop your own host application instead of control center application, then you can develop it by referring to the document CyControlCenter found in the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\application\c_sharp

This approach would also need cyusb3 driver, CyBootProgrammer.img, CyUSB.dll (for C# based application) or CyAPI.lib (for C++ based application). You can use the source code of control center application found in the following location as reference:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\application\c_sharp\controlcenter

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies