How to erase and reprogramming SPI EEPROM without hardware changing involved?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, we have FX3 board which already has a programmed SPI EEPROM, and every time when the device plug on to host, the device take a SPI boot and the firmware on SPI compeletely takes control of the device , which gives us a  firmware vid pid, descriptors etc.

Now I have a question here, how can we reprogramm SPI EEPROM on this device without hardware changing involved ( such as cut wire/reconfig pin connection), it apparently  does not support Cypress FX3 vendor specific command for the new firmware download ( or erase). Any idea?

Thanks,

Henry

0 Likes
13 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Henry,

if you can change the PMODE pins to an other boot mode then try this.

regards,

lumpi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Henry,

or otherwhise you may try to add the VID PID combination of the SPI booted firmware to cypress cyusb3.inf file so you get access through control center.

regards,

lumpi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lumpi,

I understand that we can change to USB boot mode by changing  PMODE pins config, it is almost impossible in my case.

Actually I have already tried to change the device driver inf file, and reload the device driver, it works on FX2 , howerver this trick seems did not work on FX3.

For FX2, after the device boot from I2C eeprom as a customized device, I can still use cypress' Vendor specific command to download firmware ( which can access eeprom via I2C) to the internal RAM. I am not sure if it is still the case for FX3, because I was doing the same thing on FX3 but it returns STALL, which means it does not support  the requests. However, if the device is enumerated as FX3 device, these requests have no problem.

Is there other back door which let me download the firmware into the internal RAM in this case?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the FX3 is no "backdoor" vendor request for firmware download if the user firmware is running. You have to implement this by your own into the user firmware.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Henry,

too bad, Chris is right the upload request just works if uploaded firmware support it. And your programmed Firmware in the SPI Flash won't support it. Have you success to te SPI flash pins? May be you can manipulate SSN or MISO or SCK line, that the FX3 can not load that firmware. Then may be control center works with std VID PID.

REGARDS,

LUMPI

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This won't help your board that already has firmware burned to flash. But, it could help prevent this issue on subsequent boards. Apologies in advance, this gets a little convoluted, so you might have to read it a couple times for everything to make sense.

The 1.2.1 SDK includes bootloader code, under firmware/boot_fw, that supports the commands used by Control Center to download firmware via USB.  The boot firmware has its own, much simpler SDK API (no ThreadX, etc.).

For Control Center to recognize a device, it has to have one of the signatures in the drive .INF file (for USB download it looks like this is VID 0x04B4 / PID 0x00F3). So the issue becomes, how to get a device running 'real' firmware with your customized VID/PID to renumerate with the ones required by Control Center - and have the ability to replace itself with code downloaded over USB?

What you can do is redesign the .img that you program to flash so that it consists of two subprograms - your 'real' firmware, and a copy of the boot_fw. The SDKs have the ability to transfer control from one subprogram to the other (see CyFx3BootJumpToProgramEntry() in the boot SDK and CyU3PUsbJumpBackToBooter() in the "normal" SDK). You'll want to modify linker scripts so that the subprograms start at fixed memory addresses (i.e. 0x40030000 for the 'real' firmware and 0x40070000 for the boot_fw).

You can modify the descriptors in the boot_fw project so that the PID is 0x00F3.  Compile the project with USB boot support enabled and SPI boot support disabled, then run arm-none-eabi-objcopy to convert the .elf into a binary file:
  arm-none-eabi-objcopy --input-target=elf32-littlearm --output-target=binary --strip-all ${ProjName} boot_fw.bin

In the 'real' firmware, you can then use a simple .S file to pull in the boot_fw as a blob:

.section .text.boot
.code 32

.global boot_fw
boot_fw:
.incbin "boot_fw.bin"

The linker script for the 'real' firmware needs to place the blob at the same location it was compiled to (in the boot_fw project) and to make the boot_fw the start address of the (merged) program.

Now for the switching. The boot_fw can be augmented to have a variable that keeps track of whether this is the first boot following powerup, or not.

On first boot, the code should call CyFx3BootUsbStart(CyTrue, ...) as that appears to be a requirement for switching from the 'real' firmware back to the boot_fw. (CyU3PUsbJumpBackToBooter() throws an error if you don't do this). The boot_fw must load the USB descriptors of the 'real' firmware (since we tell CyFx3BootUsbStart that we do not want to renumerate). This is a sticky part of the subprogram approach - the boot_fw subprogram needs access to the descriptors of the 'real' subprogram - so you need to build the subprograms accordingly. Once the descriptors are loaded the boot_fw calls CyFx3BootJumpToProgramEntry() with the address of the 'real' subprogram.

To reflash, you need the ability to signal the 'real' firmware that it is time to jump back to the boot_fw. How you do this is application-specific; one way would be on receipt of a vendor-specific SETUP request. When the 'real' firmware receives this signal from the host it shuts down all the FX3 peripherals and calls CyU3PUsbJumpBackToBooter(boot_fw). 

Now the boot_fw has control again. It checks the "first boot" flag and sees that this is a reboot. This time it calls CyFx3BootUsbStart(CyFalse) and loads the boot_fw USB descriptors (the ones that now identify it in a way compatible with Control Center). Then, it goes into USB boot mode, acting on commands from Control Center.

One modification you'll need to make to the USB boot code in the boot_fw is to ignore attempts to download into the boot_fw memory range (since that would destroy the firmware performing the download). Since Control Center seems to read back what was written as a verification, this means you can't download a merged .img to RAM when one (i.e. that was programmed to SPI flash) is already running. But "normal" images such as the CyBootProgrammer don't overlap boot_fw memory and *can* be downloaded. This is what allows you to rewrite the flash from Control Center.

What would be really nice is if Cypress eliminated the need for all of this by providing some way to jump back into the ROM bootloader in a way that only supports USB boot (i.e., as if the PMODE straps had been set for USB boot only).

Hope this helps,
Steve

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Steve and lumpi, this really helps.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

AssemblyRequired,

please can you explain with more details what changes I must do in my firmware and in boot_fw to get the merge firmware?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        To re-program the SPI EEPROM you can simply short MISO to Ground (Pins 2 & 4 of SPI EEPROM I believe) before connecting FX3 device to host. Since the boot mode is 'SPI fallback to USB' and MISO is shorted to ground, the data read from EEPROM will not be valid and FX3 will fallback to USB boot(default Bootloader). Then you can remove the short (MISO to GND) and re-program the SPI EEPROM.   
Anonymous
Not applicable

NIKL,

I know that I can change PMODE, short MISO to GND, or remove EEPROM from device and reprogramm it on programmator. But I need to reprogramm it without changes of hardware. There is API  CyU3PUsbJumpBackToBooter but for some reason it not work. So I try to uderstand why it not work and how I can return my device to Cypress USB BootLoader only with software methods.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

CyU3PUsbJumpBackToBooter : that API transfers the control to 2-stage boot code ( that is again a firmware provided with the SDK). It does not transfer the control to the default boot code.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

NIKL,

And what is 2-stage boot code?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please check out the firmware project named 'boot_fw' provided along with the FX3 SDK firmware examples. There is a readme file along with the source of the firmware.

0 Likes