Help with FX3 UVC USB Superspeed Video stream

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
kumu_4723976
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First solution authored

Dears, I am literally stuck for many months in my project of the design of a 16-bit grayscale camera.  I got the superspeed FX3 kit and started with the example code in AN75779.  After multiple trials and errors, I see no progress at all.  In fact, I am more confused than before.  My ultimate aim is to get a 16-bit grayscale image from a sensor via FPGA, and feed it to an FX3 kit and get it streamed to a PC and use a LabVIEW program to acquire it for post-processing.  As I was lost in my way seeing multiple community posts and not much of programming skills, I would like to request your help to at least make a successful first step. 

1. I wanted to use the AN75779 as it (except for changing LV, FV, nRST pin numbers in GPIF)  is so I do not add any error to the original program.  I interfaced it with a DeoNano FPGA board with a custom made interface board.  I changed the pin numbers in GPIF accordingly.  Please see GPIF interface definition picture attached.  I use VLC to try to get some video.  I wrote a test program in FPGA/verilog to generate the PCLK, LV, FV, DATA.  I start with 8 bit DATA as in GPIF the original program it was 8 bit.  Some Signaltap plots of FV, LV shown.  I made it for 1280 x 720, 30FPS using PCLK of 48MHz.  I added Frame and Line blanking accordingly so that the final frame rate is 30FPS.  I uncommented the DEBUG_PRINT_FRAME_COUNT in uvc.h as per suggestion from other posts.  But I always get Frame timer overflow and 0 frames and 0 buffers in the UART debug as attached.  Is my idea/attempt wrong?  I tried giving both longer and shorter blanking times keeping the 30FPS more or less same.  If I manage to make this work, I hope I can make some progress to my actual project goal.

2. I am not using any I2C lines for now.  Will this work without I2C connected?  I guess so.

If I manage to get this FV, LV, Data test signal correctly, I will be making the actual readout in same sequence and timing hoping it to work fine.  Later I will have to change the resolution too as I have one QVGA and one VGA sensors to be interfaced individually.

Thank you for your kind help.

Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
kumu_4723976
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First solution authored

Hemant,

After much of trial and error with the GPIF and UVC Descriptor file, and also I have resoldered the expansion headers.  Now I am able to get the stream successfully.  I have synchronized my video signal simulator part of my FPGA program and successfully streaming in exact resolution and frame rate.  Now my next problem to solve is getting the 16-bit monochrome data.  With 8 bit on GPIF, 16-bit definition on the UVC Descriptor, as expected, the streaming video is pink for a test pixel signal of 255 and green for a test pixel value of 0.  I see 4 GUIDs are supported.  What is the best way to solve this i.e., getting real 16-bit grayscale data on my PC for each pixel?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies