GPIF 32 and SPI Boot

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I have a specific question about the limitation on GPIF32 and SPI. Since the pins do not look shared, it seems to be more of an internal FX3 resource conflict. What I would like to do is the following. 1) Boot off of SPI 2) Once C Code runs the GPIF32 is enabled and do normal GPIF32 transactions with no need of SPI 3) If I want to reprogram the SPI, I will do the following a) send my USB Vendor command to enter my programming routine. b) This software will disable GPIF32 and then it will program the SPI 3) Do a Hard Reset and start up as the new device. Since I do not see the SPI pins conflicting with the GPIF32 pins, I would expect the follow flow to work. Am I missing something here that will make this flow fail? Ken   
0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this shoud work. You have to reconfigure the GPIF Matrix. This is descriped in some other postings here in the forum.

I do this another way: Sinse there is a FPGA in the system, I connected the SPI Flash pins to the FPGA also and so I´m able to reprogram the flash via the FPGA without changing the FX3 config.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ken,

If you are looking for the piece of code that does the re-configuration of GPIF II then please refer to the following application note:

AN84868 - Configuring an FPGA over USB Using Cypress EZ-USB® FX3™

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes