Firmware update (change to USB Boot Mode by software?)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have configured the Boot Mode to "SPI, USB on failure". If i want to update the firmware, i have to change the configuration on the PMODE pins to "USB" boot. I'm now asking myself if there is a possibility to download the firmware without changing the PMODE pins? I mean for developemnt it's not a problem. But if we deliver the device and the customer should set some jumpers or press a button to make a firmware update, this wouldn't be very nice. Can we do something by software?

Best regards

Walt

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. We can do that.

You can develop a small application in the PC to send a specific vendor command (let say Cmd_to_Erase) to FX3.

Your application firmware should be supporting this command. When FX3 gets the required vendor commad then do erase the signature of the image file that is stored in the SPI EEPROM. And when the end user hits the reset (disconnect and connect it back) then FX3 bootloader falls back to USB since there is some invalid image in the SPI EEPROM. Then user can re-program it.

Regards,

sai krishna.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies