FX3 kit does not appear in control center when J4 applied

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JaCa_2860716
Level 1
Level 1

When the CYUSB3Kit-003 is plugged in with J4 installed, nothing appears in control center.

The kit does appear with the default demo streamer example when J4 is removed.

Control center is version 1.2.3

The PC is running Win7 home premium SP1.  Are there known issues with this version?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Yatheesh,

Given your success with Win7 SP1, and my success with Win10 on the same hardware

that would not work with Win7, it looks like it must be my Win7 installation itself. I tried

updating the USB drivers for Win7 with the ones specific to the motherboard chipset,

but with no success.

I could try reinstalling Win7, but at this point everything works fine with Win10 I think it

is time to get developing.  I highly suspect that a fresh Win7 installation would have

made it work, given your Win7 success.

Thank you very much for your persistence in helping resolve this issue.  Your efforts

are appreciated!

Best Regards,

Jim.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
YatheeshD_36
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Can you please check in the device manager if the FX3 device is detected.

You can check this by opening the device manager and then plugging in the FX3 device. If the FX3 device is enumerated as Cypress FX3 USB Bootloader device, please check the device is working properly by double clicking on the device in the device manager.

Refer to the attached screenshots below.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Best Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Hello Yatheesh,

Thanks for the reply.  With J4 removed, the device manager shows:

Capture.JPG

However with J4 installed, I hear the beep-beep from windows as I plug in the board,

but the device manager does not list the device:

Capture.JPG

0 Likes

Hello,

Can you please check under other devices section in the device manager.

Also make sure that the jumpers J2, J3 , J4 are populated and J5 is open.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Hi,

I confirm that J2, J3, J4 are installed, and J5 is open.  Sorry, but I do not see an 'other devices'

section in the device manager.  Here is my device manager with the kit plugged in and J4 installed:

Capture.JPG

Thanks,

Jim.

0 Likes

Hello,

Looks like the device is not enumerating on your host PC. You can try the same in a different PC and check if the FX3 enumerates in the device manager.

Ideally when the device is plugged in the device manager refreshes with the FX3 device enumerating under Universal Serial Bus controllers (if there is a valid driver for the device) or in the other devices section (if the driver is bound to the device).

Please check this. Also check if the device manager refreshes when you plug the Explorer kit with J4 populated.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the help.  I installed windows 10 on a spare disk on the same PC computer and booted from it.

Everything worked as expected and the kit was recognized in boot mode.  So Windows7 SP1 appears to

be too old to work correctly.

I will update the old win7 machine to SP3 and see if that works as well.  I will report back my findings

before closing this thread in case this information is of value to others.

Thanks,

Jim.

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the update, meanwhile we will try the same with Windows 7 SP1 and check if there is an enumeration problem .

Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Hello,

I tried with Windows 7 SP1 professional build 7601 x86 OS and did not find any issues. The FX3 Device enumerated successfully as  "Cypress FX3 USB Boot Loader Device".

Regards,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Hello Yatheesh,

Given your success with Win7 SP1, and my success with Win10 on the same hardware

that would not work with Win7, it looks like it must be my Win7 installation itself. I tried

updating the USB drivers for Win7 with the ones specific to the motherboard chipset,

but with no success.

I could try reinstalling Win7, but at this point everything works fine with Win10 I think it

is time to get developing.  I highly suspect that a fresh Win7 installation would have

made it work, given your Win7 success.

Thank you very much for your persistence in helping resolve this issue.  Your efforts

are appreciated!

Best Regards,

Jim.

0 Likes